Hyper-V Cluster Shared Volumes PITA!

Discussion in 'Software' started by guyver9114, Apr 20, 2010.

1. guyver9114

guyver9114 Bit Poster

I thought it would be about time i delve into the world that is Hyper-V, so i have setup a lab with 2 servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, with Hyper-V and Failover clustering enabled connecting to an ISCII target. Both nodes are member servers in the domain.

I have a Quorum disk and two other Luns, 1 for a single vm and one to be used as a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV).

All well and good, the single vm can Live transfer correctly but here's the "Fun" bit! when transfering a vm that is stored on the CSV the server transfers correctly but the "Disk" is still owned by the original host which causes the vm to fail if the original node disapp ears!. I tried simuklating a failure of the original node (Pulled out power) but the CSV Disk will not start up on the second node, just the error "Event 1069 Resource Failed". Even attempting to move the storage to the second node fails....

The cluster has passed all the Validation tests with no warnings.

Any of you guys come across this before? as this is driving me around the bend, i have spent hours searching through various blogs to no avail!

Cheers
    G

Certifications: MCSA: Messaging, MCT
    WIP: Nothing for a few months :)
  2. guyver9114

guyver9114 Bit Poster

Just incase anyone else has similar issues i have eventually got to the bottom of it after many headaches.. Re-installed and BSOD on every migration to one certain host, which helped me track down a faulty/intermittent nic in that host, replaced it and all ok also added extra nic for live migration for good measure as recommended by Microsoft.

Time to crack open a beer and relax for the weekend.

G

Certifications: MCSA: Messaging, MCT
    WIP: Nothing for a few months :)