Hyper V - BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by craigie, Oct 9, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well, I have just used Hyper V for the first time and lashed it onto a SBS 2008 64 Bit box in a full production environement. Have to say what a cool bit of kit.

The reason for using it, is that BlackBerry Enterprise Server will not run on a 64 Bit platform.

I configured all the necessary permissions for the Local and Domain BESAdmin account, and used Exchange Management Shell for the first time for all the Send As Permissions.

Ran into a bit of an issue with the BIOS not being enabled for Hyper V, so I sent out an engineer to sort that out.

Once done, I installed Server 2003 Standard Edition into Hyper V and then configured the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and got a handset actiavted wirelessley.

Alll in all, it took me approx 4 hours from start to finish.

I'm going to blow my own trumpet as this was my first:

- Use of Hyper V
    - Use of Exchange Management Shell
    - Installation of BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Makes me want to sit my Hyper V exam by the end of year :D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Awesome... must of been fun and a good learning curve...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate, always good not to have BES on the Exchange Server anyways but looked like you had no option without support for a 64bit OS.

Sounds like your job is going well. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Yeah I'm a fan of Hyper-V too and you should DEFFO study for that MS Virtualisation exam. I've had my whole lab running on it and my CPU usage is quite low. I just need to get around to doing a core install of 2008 now and seeing how that goes. Looks a lot more difficult with long winded commands . . . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thats on my to do list as well. Only touched on server core on the upgrade to MCITP:EA so want to go over it again when I get a spare hour or two.

That will probably be in 2028. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have had a little play with core. At one point I setup a virtual 2k8 core server as a read only secondary DNS server. Good thing is with some of the more common roles can be remotely managed with MMC's on other servers that had the full GUI.

I used a variation on this to set things up :-

http://www.smart-x.com/?CategoryID=198&ArticleID=170&sng=1

Gives you a simple GUI, so you can do most of the common setup and configuration tasks without learning all the command line stuff. Handy tool if you want to get the efficiency benefits of a core setup, but don't want the faffing that goes along with it. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada