Hungover? What's your New Year's Eve Story?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jan 1, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My son Michael went out to celebrate New Years Eve last night with his mates and had a good time. Of course, he's scheduled to work this morning, so he's paying for it right now (he doesn't get headaches, but the nausea could light up a small city). While I've done the same in my past, last night I didn't even have a glass of wine (my daughter had one). I stayed home and watched videos, finally going to bed about 10:15 p.m. I've gone through too many "new years" to be really impressed anymore. This morning, I'm sipping on coffee and water and my head and tummy feel fine.

While I had probably the most "boring" New Years Eve on record by most standards (though I am just fine with it), I was wondering how the rest of your are doing after your celebrations. It should be early evening in the UK by now, so most of you are likely conscious enough to give a report. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I've got a serious case of "man flu" (and it's affecting my asthma) and unless I feel any better, I'll be calling in sick tomorrow instead of going into work. So my New Year was pretty rubbish. The missus had it over Christmas so I guess it's on;y fair :(

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

My New Year was incredibly light, compared by my own 'old' standards :)

I didn't quite keep to my recently teetotal self, though I only had 2 alcopops (about 3 units of alcohol) before I couldn't see the point and switched to diet Coke.

I was at a houseparty with old friends from schools and our respective other halves. There were six of us - one of the girls I hadn't seen for 8 years.

We played Cranium and then we played poker. The game lasted until about 4am, and yours truly won.

So no hangover, and a chilled out New Year's day as most of my family are in various states of death and decay. I've just finished making mushroom soup, so now I'm watching Donnie Darko (hurrah!) and thinking about studying.

Hope everyone else had fun!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I had one of my more enjoyable new years over here in Idaho, no offense trip but coming from London and with a missis who can't legally drink here, there is not a whole lot to do in this corner of the world :)
    fortunately this year was better, we all got together at my aunts place and drank margaritas and vodka whilst playing the New Yorker, and some other crazy games

it was nice to be with family all having a good time, our other aunt is a bit obnoxious when she is drunk and has a habbit of messing things like this up, but she was absent last night and everything was a blast,

Glad I had the constitution to remember your not a big new year guy James, as I considered calling you to wish you happy new year (the only guy I know in this time zone lol) before thinking you were probably asleep

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My head hit the pillow at 10:15 p.m. last night. My daughter and the missus stayed up to see in the new year. It's just another day for me.

Just came back from the gym. Not feeling in tip top shape (think I pulled something the other day) plus I don't want to push my cardio muscle harder than target (which I did anyway, because I still need to get in shape). This morning, I've officially lost 21 pounds in the last 13 weeks so doing good in that respect.

Gonna take a nice, long, hot shower in a bit and then get to work reviewing a couple of chapters I got back from one of the editors. Got to get to work on the supplementary material as it's due March 1st, then back to "life as usual" starting tomorrow.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Well i just had a few beers in the house with a few mates. Im fed up of having to pay to get into bars now and then having to queue for ages at the bar. Didnt have much to drink either (by my standards lol)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I didnt celebrate New Year at all...I was cooking when midnight struck...changed my calendars to the new ones...watched Donnie Darko whilst eating my pasta, then sat on the laptop for a bit longer before going to sleep at 5am...my neighbours above me however were partying all night...lucky for them I dont sleep early...but saying that I probs still wouldnt have heard anything cos of my deep sleep...

but to be honest it dont feel like new years...its just another day...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Went out during the day yesterday to catch up with a few mates before they went into town for the usual New Year parties.

Bottle of wine for me in the flat with the wife. No hangover today for me either which makes a change! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Wow - you must have a sturdy laptop! :biggrin

Mine was a bit strange. I ended up ill without intending it.

Our original plans were to go to sister-in-laws family for a quiet one - takeaway and play games....but they all came down with the flu, so cancelled...so we decided to get Tesco takeaway bits - mixture of Thai, Indian and Chinese (as couldn't make up minds)...then went to local pub...my mistake was a HUGE glass of red wine (or possibly the really rich chocolate cheesecake we had for pud). I don't know what it was, but it just totally knocked me for six...yesterday was one of the few new years I have woken up feeling rough. Ah well, feeling better today!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I had a pretty quiet one as well, house party at my girlfriends, all the family etc.. only had about 4-5 buds and decided it just wasn't worth it! New Years is always a let down isn't it? Always built up to be great and never quite makes the grade.

Oh well, lets hope for a better 2008 then 2007! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Trust me...even I dont know how it manages to still work under all my weight and boy do I have a big bum :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

New years eve I actually got around to watching the 300 dvd my missus brought me a couple of months ago.

When DVD was done we found a Chuck Norris film was on and so me and my 15-year old son (soon to be 16) tried to educate the wife as to what a perfect man Chuck is.

My excuse was I had been drinking for a few hours, not sure what the lads excuse was for praising another man - maybe I need to have a chat with him......hmm.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I read a large chunk of Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz, while the kids and wife slept, and my dog was shivering in the corner because of the fireworks (they freak him out).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Aww, bless your dog!

My cat gets really nervous too but she's really thick - when she hears something scary outside, her immediate reaction is to run out the cat flap...towards whatever it is that scared her :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You've got an attack cat. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Totally brilliant! Decided to go down town to a few bars and niteclub, and saw fireworks and piper at the local 'lightship' at the docks (fortunately didn't fall in!) at 12am. Was supposed to visit my sister and her family afterwards but didn't get home until 4:30am and decided I had had enough by that time. Good thing as well as they all ended up having a major fight by all accounts!

Must have said 'happy new year' to 1 million people.

Great night - its what you make it...

But next night I had to work - NOT PLEASANT...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  17. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I got absolutly fooked at my house, then went into town and saw the new year in at my local club! Real good night..

Certifications: A+, N+