Humberside IT services (National BTEC award in computer engineering!Top of this page!

Discussion in 'A+' started by keane14, Dec 15, 2008.

1. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience of Humberside IT Services that are advertised at the top of the page? Are they any good? Is the is the National BTEC award in computer engineering a good recognised qualification? Any help would be good because i am seriousley thinking about taking this course with this company?

Thankyou in advance!!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have no direct experience with them, but they do seem good (I did some research on them a few years ago).

Their qualification is a real valid one, accredited by Edexcel/BTEC. However one thing to note is that you do not sit the exam with them, you book the exam at the closest registered btec/edexcel centre (i.e. a college). The material that you'll get on this course will also help you with the Comptia A+. Last time I checked with them, they were in the process of developing a Network Engineering course (L3), however as there is no mention of the course on their website, they are either still in development or they have put it on hold.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, great information, i think i will go for this course and as you say it will help with the A plus. And the cost is quite resonable i think for a qualification.

Thanks again!!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  4. Kitkatninja

It's reasonable for an academic qual, just don't forget that you have to take the exam at a college and pay for the exam fee separately (not included in the course).

Good luck

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I did buy the course more than one year ago. I have found it good quality. You get the course printed as well on CD-ROM.There are plenty of labs and hands on. You get as well your mentor who you can ask questions by e-mail. However I prefer the A+ then the BTEC. Depend on what stage you are. I think the BTEC is for someone who is stiil at college.
    Generaly the Humberside IT is good company and will not let you down.I have learned my IT basics from them.I have never had any problems with the company as well. The mentor always answear my questions fast. But I did not take the Edexell exam. I have gone straight for the A+.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  6. transformer2010

transformer2010 Bit Poster

Which award is more beneficial to have the comptia a + or btec award in computer engineering?

7. Kitkatninja

I'd say if you have the option, do both...

While the Comptia A+ is the basic entry level/tier 1 cert, not everyone has heard of them. However the A+ (in conjuction with the Network+) can be used as an elective of the MCSA.

The Btec Award in Computer Engineering, is also an basic entry level/tier 1 cert. However it's a newer qualification and while accredited by BTEC/Edexcel, may not have the weight behind it.

Both of these awards bascially cover the same thing.

-Ken

8. transformer2010

Thanks Ken, its hard to know what courses to do! Especially when your spending £200-£300 on it.

9. transformer2010

would it be possible to do the The Btec Award in Computer Engineering then the Network+ qualification and progress onto mcsa?

10. Kitkatninja

You can, but it won't count towards the MCSA, unless you have the A+ also.

-Ken

11. transformer2010

Thanks for your advice

12. zilla

zilla New Member

is comptia still worth anything anymore? I rarly see it asked for on job adverts.