Huge pirate music site shut down

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mitzs, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Ummm.... You are mistaking fair use, for piracy. Yours is the kind of misconception that organizations like the RIAA love to spread. It is legal to tape a TV show, as long as it is for your own use only, or for someone such as an educator to use as a teaching tool. If it were not legal to do such things, do you really think tools such as a vcr would be ubiquitous for there is no other reason to own a video cassette recorder. A video cassette player, yes. Recorder no. Sony lost that court battle long ago. You were most likely just a little kid at the time this idea was tested in court.

How many tools, of any kind, which you can buy almost anywhere on the open market, are tools that have ONLY illegal purposes? I can't think of any.

You don't really break copyright rules until you try to profit from making a copy of something. It's always been that way, because copyright rules were explicitly created to protect content creators from having their content copied and sold by someone else, and through that lose their ability to profit from their work. Just because organizations such as the RIAA and MPAA have lobbied to get outrageous laws such as the DMCA passed trying to take away your traditional rights of fair use doesn't mean that copying something for your own personal use is wrong. That's been done since time immemorial, and it's always been legal. Copyrights themselves didn't really get established until last half of the 19th century, and they didn't become really well known until around the turn of the 20th century.

Now, I've never, ever, downloaded a song or a movie. I've always purchased what I wanted, but I completely disagree with laws such as the DMCA. Digital content is no different than traditional content. A picture is a picture, a book is a book, a song is a song, it doesn't matter what media they are on. Trying to say they are different for nothing more than more profit is just nuts.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1