HTTP 401

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Arroryn, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hellosy!!

Question for the 'tech' side of things. Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I'm not exactly aux faix with this area of the internet.

If you were developing, upgrading and maintaining sites for a (high paying) client, and their company website was down with a HTTP 401 error, how long would you expect it should take you to get it back up again?

Does it vary, or is it a common error? Our company site was down for approximately 5 hours today with this error, and I wasn't impressed with their answer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

401 means Unauthorized.

There are a multitude of reasons why this can happen, but on a site that was previously working it will probably be a mistake in a config change.

How long it will take to rectify is like saying how long is a piece of string. :biggrin

If the person who did it did it on a Friday evening and went on holiday, and nobody else had knowledge or access then it could stay like that for weeks!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

lol. Cheers Harry! I thought it might have been something too all-encompassing to get a definitive answer.

Our website is currently going through the update process, but the proofread pages are still available on the developer's site. They haven't had permission to start moving or altering the main site yet.

The site was definitely down this morning, circa 8am. It wasn't back online until about 3pm. But take out an hour for lunch, and an hour or so for them to respond to the phone call :)

Cheers!!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Unfortunatley the answer to this is easy.. Its twice as long as it is from the middle to one end!!

However a 401 error is like many other faults... Depends on what last happened before the error, who did it and whether theres a simple soulution to it. I've found thats sometimes even with the simplest mistakes it could take ages to correct, sometimes just because its starring you in the face but you just cant see it!!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

If it was down and you are paying a nice high premium for the support then they shoudl not be having lunch breaks.

Well, I don't anyway

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security