html tables

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Frontier, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Does anyone here get confused over html tables and layouts or is it just me? :eek: I find it all a bit confusing though I guess I am rather new to the concepts. If anyone knows of any clear, easy to understand html guides do please let me know would be a great help.

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

try http://www.w3schools.com/

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

frontier, there shouldn't be any confusion. using tables for layout is not only old school, it is also considered a big no-no. tables were originally developed for structuring data, but were mostly misused by people for layout design.

the link that omni provided is a good place to start.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Got to admit it - I still use tables for layout planning.
    Draw them out on paper so you know what your structure will look like before doing the real thing.
    Use them to plan the structure of your site on your first try - the fact that they are visible makes it easier to get a feel for what you are doing.
    Then you'll know exactly what you want to achieve with your CSS.

As well as drawing them out first, be disciplined with your code, use new lines and indentation so that it is easy to read. Otherwise it takes ages to spot a missing tag or the fact that one row has a cell missing...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. dotnetms

dotnetms Bit Poster

In short:
    <table..>
    <tr> = row
    <td> col field
    u can use width, height etc.

CSS is the way to go if you ask me.

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Got to agree here, CSS is the way to go. It's best to keep content seperate from the presentation.

If you check out my site (in my sig) you'll see that this is all done with CSS. No tables in sight. I'm also in the process of changing my wife's site from a table layout to CSS.

When it comes to CSS I think this guy Eric Meyer is considered to be king. Book link.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT