HTML: Table Issue

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Fergal1982, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I have two tables on one of my pages. In the code they appear underneath each other, and both appear to be properly terminated.

However, unless I put in a heap of <p>&nbsp;</p> (27 to be precise), the second table appears to the right of the first. Varying the number changes the position of the table on the page, but it takes the full 27 to get the second table far enough down the page that its past the first, and comes over to the left hand side.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? I've never even seen this before.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

HTML is generally based on flow based layout of block level elements.

I'd insert a line break tag <br/> after the first table, alternatively design your page as a fixed size page and put appropriate sizes on the top level elements and percentage sizes on the lower level elements.

3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

an alternative is to create a DIV with a set size then float the 2 tables with a clear:both in the middle but like dmarsh said a <br /> or <br> should suffice, can you post some of your code

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Fergal1982

Its auto-generated code by a program called CodeCharge. The program itself can do some quite powerful stuff quite easily, and it auto-generates a shedload of code for you, but its a nightmare sometimes.

I tried using <br />'s instead of the <p>'s before, but they encountered the same issues.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

heres an example of the floating i was talking about, not sure how to do it in your program as i only use text editors these days

Attached Files:

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

WYSIWYGs are notorious for adding krap that you don't want to your html. I agree with ThomasMc's solution in this case.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Fergal1982

Fully agree, unfortunately it was coded in this before I started. Cant really start it all again, so have to go with the status quo (for now).

I'll take a look at Thomas' solution, see how it goes (I can get to the HTML code and edit it, so thats not a problem)

8. Fergal1982

Gods! That actually made it worse!

Stuck the div's in, and most of the bottom table vanished. Although the bit that did appear appeared where intended.

9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

sound a bit like an unclosed tag

10. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Hi Fergal,

Without seeing the code itself, we can only guess. Recheck all of your closing tags. You may have a missing </tr> close tag. If you can get to the html source, try to copy the affected part and post it here. It may help.

Good Luck,
    Bill

11. Fergal1982

FFS, you know what it was? There is commented code on the page thats auto-generated by CC marking the beginning and the end of the grid html code. I'd placed them inside these comments. Turns out that CC seems to be doing something with those comments. placing the tags on the other side seems to have resolved the problem.

Cheers

12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its common for round trip code generation tools to use these practicies, they use comments of various forms to denote parts of the file that can be automatically replaced when the code is regenerated, you have to be careful where and what you edit, otherwise you will simply lose the changes the next time the tool is run.

14. Fergal1982

Nice catch Dmarsh.

I also found This from MS. Looks ok.

15. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster