HTC Touch Pro keyboard button size?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nugget, Sep 1, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just wondering if anyone here has the new HTC Touch Pro?

My boss saw it the other day and asked me to find out about its keyboard (and robustness). Does anyone know if the thing has the same size keyboard (namely the buttons) as the rest of the HTC line?

We currently have the p4350 and to me it looks like the keyboard buttons are the same size with the addition of a 5th row on the Touch Pro. I think that this is because the touch pro slides further than the p4350 and that allows the 5th row.

I can't find anywhere that I can actually lay my hands on it and get to play with it, hence the questions.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I currently have the Diamond Touch which the pro is based on, and before that the TyTn which had a keyboard. The diamonds around teh same size as the Tytn so i would say that teh keys are probably teh same size.

One thing i have noticed with my diamond, was that it was very slow at first on teh stock rom. I have since flashed a newer rom and it seems to have improved teh Touch flo response. Also teh battery lifes not that great. But it does look nice and at least its not an iPhone!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Most reviews I read say that it's not as good as the iPhone.

I was considering getting a HTC Touch Diamond but after reading too many poor reviews and reviews where it wasn't even as good as iPhone, I decided to get the iPhone instead.

iPhone is great but it has some really annoying flaws.. No copy & paste, MMS, text forwarding and then there's the problem with applications that Apple let you download and install. We should be able to install whatever we want, like on a PC, and not just what they say is ok. Alternatively we can jailbreak the phone but this could lead to a dead iPhone..

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The reviews (mostly from users) that I've read have always said that the HTC is heads above the iPhone. Although I agree that the iPhone looks really cool, the lack of functionality for business is what really kills it. I need something that my CEO can use everywhere without a problem, whether it's in the USA, Japan or Europe and on any network.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep looking for a demo model to play with though.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

The thing is that the HTC devices are Win Mobile O/S while the iPhone is Apples own O/S. This means that on my Diamond i have MS Office Mobile. This allows me to open up Word docs, Apreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations on my mobile and edit them while on the move, knowing that i can open them again on my PC at home with no compatabiity issues. I'm not sure if i could open the same docs etc on teh iPhone without any conversions or formating issues.
    The MTC also has Windows Media player, adobe reader LE, msn messener etc, so i know what i run on my PC "should" run on my mobile (though not everything does). I also know there are a lot of apps out the for Win Mobile devices so wouldnt be stucj having to use Apples software.

My main recommendation though, is that if you get a Diamond (and i'd assume its teh same for teh touch pro) that you re-flash teh ROM to a different one from what is supplied with, this fix battery life and speed issues on mine.

One of teh guys i work with has the iPhone so i have been able to compare the 2 devices side by side. while i think teh iPhone may run better, smoother and has slightly more power, teh Diamond is easier to use, update and get software on it. Its also smaller lighter and more compact. Now if teh Touch has teh qwerty keyboard as well, then that makes ita real winner for me. (Both iPhone and Diamond have software touch qwerty keyboards just no hardware one).

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm on an HTC Touch Dual which is a great bit of kit.
    You can use it as a pda or as a regular phone as it has a slide out pad.

The key pad isn't a full qwerty, it's a standard mobile pad with a couple of extra navigation buttons.
    It's a nice compact size.

http://www.htc.com/europe/product.aspx?id=15828

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Nice replies from all.

I'm glad this didn't turn into a HTC vs iPhone war, which I tried to avoid by pointing out iPhone flaws, because it wouldn't help anyone.

I'm quite interested to read about the HTC as I was really considering buying one. I might still get one and use it on my iPhone contract, depending on how I feel on what day.. A waste of money but I don't really care. It all depends on whether or not they can really improve the performance.

The iPhone does have messenger abilities and there are some good softwares available which allow you to use MSN, though iChat would be nice. My main use for iPhone is entertainment, whether it be travelling, at work (like now) or even in the house. The iPod is a great feature and being able to watch movies/cartoons on the go is wicked. The iPhone internet is also a very handy tool, saved some nice cash by checking online prices compared to store prices whilst out and about.

They are letting their 'Smartphone' side down a little with the lack of office features e.g. Read only on Excel etc. It's a shame really because it's such a nice phone.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'd agree there Dave. I think the iPhone is porbably better at playing MP3s and MP4s as it is desgined with that sort of thing in mind. Its web browsing is probably slightly better as well, as the HTC has IE and a buggy version of Opera installed, not the best ona mobile device.

However teh HTC wins out for Office use as it comes with teh MS stuff installed, and you can easily download other apps for it.

Like most things, it all comes down to what you want it for and what you need it to do. For me, i just wanted a phone that looked nice, with soem features i may use at some point, but not often. And for that, the Diamond was perfect (plus i got it free on my contract, along with other freebies! :p ).

9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

The people I know that have owned an HTC touch have had nothing good to say. The obvious difference though is that HTC seems to be more popular on the CDMA networks here. The iPhone is king of market share on the GSM networks. This is excluding enterprise customers. Blackberries are the enterprise favorites here.

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Our sales guys use Blackberries, but most have asked to change them recently, as they find the unwieldy and unresponsive.

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well the issue seems to have resolved itself somewhat. My boss and the CEO got to have a hands on with the HTC yesterday and it seems that the CEO is not really a fan of it anymore. MY boss also got himself a Nokia e71 yesterday as well so we'll see how long it is before the CEO wants one.

Got to admit, when I saw the Nokia I was also "ooh, I want one too".

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Music to my ears. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

That's the first I've heard that one. Most people that I know that want to 'change' from the Blackberries say it's too responsive.

People able to email you at any hour and expecting real-time response; or calling you immediately to confirm you got the email. Like being attached to the office via an electronic leash :twisted:

14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, but your reasons aren't even based on the product. You just don't like the co-CEO.
    Can anyone say Nashville Predators? :)

15. BosonMichael

Is there anything wrong with a little warranted dislike? :biggrin

My son and I can...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Gotta say.... your kid's quick if he can pluck butterflies out of the air with his bare hands. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  17. BosonMichael

His ninja-fu is strong.

18. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Well, that's not fair. You put up a picture of the Pred's #1 fan and even I'll start to hate the Balsillie. :eek:
    Just not the Blackberry :)

19. BosonMichael

Hate the man, hate the company... :thumbleft

Actually, I don't *hate*... I just... don't like him very much... :dry:p