HSF issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 7, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

So I got around to building my new PC last night.

After I had installed everything and powered on I got a "cpu over temp" message, I realise my HSF was on the wrong way around (Tuniq tower 120).

So I lifted it off and then realise the thermal compound hadn't spread across the CPU evenly so I added a bit more and replaced the HSF.

I haven't had time to test it again yet, does anyone foresee any issues?

My cpu wasn't reconised either but I have the BIOS update ready to install once I get pass the HSF issue.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Adding a bit more would not be what I would have done, I would have cleaned off the old stuff from the CPU and HSF and applied a new bit of thermal paste. When you apply the paste you just need a thin line up the middle of the CPU in the orientation of the cores below the square outer metal shield. When you seat the HSF the paste will spread out a fair bit, although it may not reach the edges.

The best thing to do now is get Everest or some other real time CPU temp software installed and keep an eye on things. It will probably be fine, until the thermal paste dries out a little from use it is pretty good at being moved wiggled and squished and still providing good thermal contact.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I ended up doing that, thanks :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

clean off the crap they give you and get some artic silver. you're only supposed to put the tiniest amount on the CPU as its only supposed to fill the minute gap between the core and HSF as thermal compound conducts heat better than air. For lower temps lap the core and the heatsink :)

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Make me nervous just thinking about lapping a CPU :ohmy

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation