HP microserver RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Makaveli, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I have just got myself a HP N54L microserver mainly for creating a VMware lab, it came as standard with 2GB so I am looking to upgrade the RAM. It looks like some people have upgraded to 16GB. At this stage I dont want to spend too much money on RAM so wanted to know what people have upgraded to and the make and model of the RAM they have purchased.

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've got all my RAM from crucial, they are my goto place for memory requirements, also if you use quidco then you'll get a couple of quid cash back on it as well.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im waiting for a N36l microserver to be delivered, paid £122 for it off ebay and it came with 8 gb plus a .5 annd a 1.5 gb drive so im happy. As for the RAM, i was speaking to someone who says that they are limited to 8GB, and to get them on to use 16 you need to flash/hack the bios.

Not sure how true that is, as Dales says, get onto crucial, you cant go wrong there

Let me know how you get on with what your setting up

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Is that for your HP microserver? If so, how much RAM do you have in it and what do you use the server for?

- - - Updated - - -

Can I ask why you went for the N36L? Im not sure if you know but the N54L is currently available with £100 cashback until the end of February, so it costs less than £100 after cashback.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Is that 1x 8GB module?

I would suggest checking the end date of the claim for your cashback, for example the £100 cashback that is available for the period of February has a last claim date that ends in March so I would have thought the last claim date for the January offer would have been the end of February...

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've got 2 micro server n40l's and they both have crucial memory in them with 16GB each. I didn't need to hack the bios or anything but as always YMMV. I've gotone server running XenServer and the Other ESXi 5.5. I mostly use the them for SBC or VDI type workflows or VPX's. I've also got a whitebox PC which I use for the infrastructure VM's

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well i was advised really to not pay more than 150, then i found out about the deal with the cash back etc, but that deal you have only comes with 2 GB ram, does it come with any HDs????

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. danielno8

Just checked and I MAY make it in time haha! Thanks! I just remembered the 31st Jan date!

"Mail to: HP Claims Dept, PO Box 7393, Reading, RG1 9WR. All
    submissions must be received by Friday 28th February 2014."

Yeh 1 8GB module.....this is so I can upgrade to 16GB should I need to (not officially supported but lots of people have done it).

Cheers,

EDIT: Dammit again....I bought it on 27th December, not January! My claim by date was end of January haha.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

You can complete the cashback form then scan and email it to the HP promotions email address on the form, you need to also scan and attach a copy of the invoice which you should be able to download from the site you purchased the server from.

11. danielno8

^ See above....my deadline was actually 31st Jan! Since I can do it by email I might give it a whirl anyway!

12. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Sorry I am confused... you purchased a HP microserver in January during the £50 cashback offer? If so that means in order to claim you would have had to purchase and have it delivered between 1st-31st January which I assume you did? Then that should mean you have until 28th February to claim your cashback so if you email them the completed form and the invoice you should have it approved within 24 hours. Have I misread something?

13. danielno8

^ yeh I edited the post above after realizing I actually purchased the server at the end of December....so my claim by date for my cashback deal was by 31st January! I am still gonna give it a whirl though, just need to get my serial number to add to the claim form and will send it in!

Cheers,
    Daniel

14. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

No worries, I thought I was going crazy for a while there! :biggrin

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you are right, it only came with 2GB. It came with a 250GB HD.

Dales - how many VMs did you manage to run with 16GB?

15. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Depends on the hypervisor and how I size them XenServer won't let you over-commit on the memory so generally 8 vm's max I can power on at the same time assuming 2GB each. ESXi I've had quite a few running at the same time but thats partly because I size them fairly small because they are general desktop VM's and they are running on SSD's. More than a couple of VM's running on a spinning disk will bring things to their knee's.