HP HBA's

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Luddym, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I've been tasked with setting up a HP Windows Storage Server with a FC HBA card installed, and plug it into a procurve 2650 switch using a Mini-Gbic adapter. The aim is to allocate this an IP address and communicate through the HBA as though it were just another NIC.

However, I am completely green when it comes to Fiber, and what it can and can't be used for, in this instance. I've been unable to find any way of allocating an IP address to the HBA interface card, (as it doesn't show up in network devices, but is recognised by HBAnyware, the software that controls it) and wondered if I'm actually trying to do something that isn't really possible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err
    your plugging a FC HBA into an Ethernet Switch?

You will need a FC Fabric for FC cards to work across, or at the minimum a direct attached storage subsystem

FC doesn't work like that, you can't just give it an IP and think of it as a network card
    its not a network card :)
    its a FC card

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Thanks for that Ryan, I had an inkling that was the case.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

that said mate
    i'll assume you guys didn't drop serious dosh on HBAs only to not want to use them?
    those things run 500 to 1500 squid each

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Tru dis. Even the TOE NICs used for iSCSI are friggin expensive. We only use QLogics in our place because we're an EqualLogic\VMWare shop and we've been burned by Alacritechs in the past. The single-port (problems with using the dual-port ones on ESX in the past has prevented us buying them and probably saving us a couple hundred quid each time) QLogics run about 400 quid each - and all they are is a bloody glorified Ehernet NIC!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I always just use the HP MF adapters, new DL380s come equipped with 4 and i never have any problems?

Hell I can deploy 10GBe cards for about 400 quid! (well, when i convert that into $) :)
    problem with most 10GBe cards is they don't have offload engines, so they hit the CPU, good anandtech article on how to get the most bang for buck though

^^ this is why i hardly sell any FC HBAs anymore, iSCSI FTW ^^

Luddy, feel free to give us more details and i will try give whatever advice i can :)