Hows the job Trip

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SimonV, Jan 15, 2004.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hows the job now then Trip? :juggle How did you do with that bugged up PC?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Where do I begin? Well, on Monday, I went to do a simple WLAN router install. Throught I could share out their DSL connection and PC's files and printer without the router. Ended up completely hosing the fellow's work laptop by inadvertantly kicking him off his domain. They had to ship the unit outside the state to get it rejoined and they'll probably have to reinstall the OS to do it. I'll end up paying for that one (shipping at least). After all that, I tried to install the belkin router but the remaining laptop couldn't get on.

Went out again yesterday. The fellow was gone but the lady of the house was there. She was polite but you could tell she wasn't exactly dazzled by me. I had a linksys router. Followed all the steps perfectly. Still no laptop joining the wireless LAN. I did everything I could think of but nada. Finally, I pulled out my laptop and configured it for their WLAN. Popped right up. I ruled out everything but her wireless NIC which is built in. I called the boss Chris through all this. He came out with a usb wnic and a pc card wnic. Both worked in this lady's machine. Another tech came out and looked at her machine as well. Came to the same conclusion that her on board wnic was bad.

It was confusing because it worked as of Monday. I felt better after leaving and Chris called me later that night to say I'd done a good job. I've got two follow up jobs this morning in the foothills (after my dentist appt) and a meeting this afternoon at 3 with one of the honchos of the suresupply job I'm supporting (get very few calls on the cell phone on that job).

I'd have to say it's a bit better than a week ago. Chris really wants me to start going on rooftops and installing wireless antennas for home users of broadband wireless internet. I told him I'd need to see it done once to make sure I'd be ok with it. I'm not thrilled with going on icy rooftops in January, but a job's a job. If they really are that busy, I'd be able to get on the payroll instead of being a contract worker.

We'll see. Finished a really hairy chapter for one project, have to a few more pieces of another due on the 23rd and just started a book due in March. No wonder I can't sleep much. :wink:

I've gotta start billing for all this. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, a week's gone by and I think Zial is trying to kill me. I feel like I've been running around all over the place but actually have less than 30 billable hours of work for them. I also got a call from The Computer Merchant Ltd. They saw my resume on Dice and want me for a two or three day job next week doing a hardware rollout at Qwest for HP. As far as I know, Zial didn't have me scheduled so I don't see a conflict. Hope Chris (boss at Zial) doesn't take it too hard.

Since I'm also supporting SureSupply, I have to be part of a conference call at 10:30 a.m. The call lasts for an hour but I may only have to participate in the first part of it. I hope I can squeeze it in because SureSupply/HP is kind of demanding.

I've got my "freebee" writing job about 3/4 of the way done but have a boat load of screen captures to do for this and another project I just submitted. Got started on a new writing project but it's only six short chapters and isn't due to mid-March. If I can get a lot of the writing done this weekend, I'll be in good shape.

Just sent in my invoices to Zial via e-mail today. We'll see what happens next.

Certifications: A+ and Network+