Howdy!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Zeeman, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Zeeman

Zeeman Bit Poster

Hi Folks, :D

I am a computer NOOB, so there you go I have said it...no need to flame me later on :(

As far as my IT experience goes. I am on my laptop most the time with windows XP. Have used various softwares and have basic programming skills in C+, Java and HTML...or atleast I thought I did until I recently saw some of the things out there. Have also worked in Sales in Pc world.

Anyways I am a Grad in a computer engineering, am currently working with the NHS in London within facillities management but have now decided to get into a IT related skill area. BUT WHAT IS THE QUESTION?! hoping you lovely folks maybe able to help motivate me to finding my answer or even give me and answer :p

I join this forum in hope tapping into the well of knowledge people here. I look forward to seeing your posts :D

Ciao

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCNP Security, Security+, Computer Engineer/BENG
    WIP: CEH, Later CISSP and ISO27001
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

What area of IT interests you most?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Welcome aboard :p

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Zeeman

Zeeman Bit Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Dunno :blink I am going to get the A+ and N+ certs first then probably get into Programming. The MCSD interests me because I am considering web design and database maintenance.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hello.

Good luck in your studies.

8)

7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Welcome.

To be honest, If you are looking at getting into programming, the A+ and N+ wont help you. Your best bet is to actually get stuck into actually programming, and try to find some method of giving you development experience.

A+ and N+ certainly wont hurt, and it will help increase your knowledge of the systems your application will be running on and over, but you are probably better off learning about those things from a programming perspective, than an actual physical perspective.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree :) I know alot of programmers/software engineers that can program wonders, and they haven't done the A+ or Network+. If Programming is the area you want to get into, then concentrate on those certs first and then later on expand your area of knowledge.

BTW, welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm going to offer the alternate opinion here. Every programmer I've ever known (and I currently work with a group of software developers), has cut their eye teeth on hardware and networking. You have to know a great deal about how your software is going to run on servers, desktops, and on the network. Also, configuring a testing environment involves understanding those issues as well and troubleshooting a cranky piece of software includes understanding how it is being executed at the processor-level. Whilst this may not necessarily include actually earning A+ and Network+ certifications, you ignore these areas at your own peril.

BTW...greetings and welcome to CertForums. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Zeeman

Zeeman Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome. Appreciate it :D

Thing is I have done half of A+ so it's a bit late to back out now :eek: LOL

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Zeeman and welcome to CF:) good choice on going for the A+ route home self study.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Welcome to CF since you work in the NHS why don't you try contacting the IT Dept and ask if there are any openings or have a word with the IT manager there on how to get into programming or software development?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+