Howdy Doody

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by rIKmAN, Jul 13, 2006.

1. rIKmAN

rIKmAN New Member

Hi guys,

Just signed up here after doing some research on SkillsTrain, as I recently had a saleman round here telling me all about it.

I have been stung in the past for £3800 when I signed up with AMRAF about 5-6yrs ago to do A+ N+ and MCSE etc, then they went into administration after 1 week of starting my N+ course, closing all their offices except 1 and taking all my cash with them.

So, I`m back on the bandwagon and looking at Skillstrain to get the certs I`ll need to get a nice IT job.

One thing I was worried about was doing an MCSE in Windows 2000 - it`s now 2006 and I don`t want to pay (again grr!) to get qualified in something that is outdated.
    The rep rang someone however and was told that due to this the MCSE course is being updated with a MS Server 2003 module, but as the most demand is still for 2000 Server, the 2003 will just add that to your CV in the case of a job needing 2003, hmmm.

Any comments welcome :)

Anyway, sure I`ll be posting a bit more around, so speak to you all soon!

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

like harry said Hi and Welcome! :biggrin

Take a look on our training forum we have alot of advice there...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there and welcome to Certforums.

Have a scout around our Training and Development forum - there should be quite a bit about Skillstrain there; they're a company I have, thus far, had a good experience with.

Why is it you feel compelled to go with a Training Provider? How did you find your A+ studies? A lot of people on here will advise you to, and have succesfully, self-studied towards a lot of their Certs. Hardware, software and books are all readily available at places like www.ebay.co.uk, www.amazon.co.uk, and www.abebooks.com

Also: good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN New Member

Arroryn: I guess one of the biggest factors is money.
    £100 per month as opposed to the inital outlay of £400-£500 for books, software and a few PC`s.....

I have read the forum before I signed up and have seen the Self-Study Guide etc but as I say, I cannot afford a lump sum outlay to do this.

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The lump sum outlay may be less than you think. Ok, one month buy a book, thats what £40 Max? leaving you £60 extra to play with for the next month. You can start reading the book straight away, and although you may not be able to apply any of the theory until the following month it gives you the chance to get to grips with your studies.

The second month say you have £160 to use, well I reckon you could get at least two usable PC's for that price, and thats it, you're set up for your studies. Now over the comming months all you have to put money aside for it paying the exam costs, which will be your next big outlay.

An important thing to remember is that the internet can be a great tool in your studies, so no need to fork out on any secondary books, just your internet connection and good old google. There's not a subject out there that doesn't have something out there on the web.

8)

EDIT: Welcome to the forums! :D

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry i just got to ask but you had 4k taken off you... you not scared it will happen again? :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello and welcome to CF!

Before going with any Learning provider make sure you do your research and read the contract before signing!

I don't know much about skillstrain, but have you looked at the others? ITLEARNEASY

or NITLC

or for classrom or home study there's rapid results (cats)

I think you should review all your options before signing!

Good luck

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Some very good advice there from SGUK. Just another little point though, you say that you can't invest £4-500 for your future career because you can't put it up front right now but are willing to fork out £4000 spread over 2 years??

Some of the resources mentioned in the study guide are even free now, like MS Virtual PC and VMWare Virtual Server. You also don't need to get all the books right now, only for the current subject matter.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. rIKmAN

rIKmAN New Member

Thanks for the advice guys...

So would it be worth learning and revising for the A+ exam first of all - I can build/repair/upgrade PC`s with my eyes shut, but I guess the qualification is what employers want to see.

Anyone have any good starting points for this route - that`s if it is the correct one.

@zimbo: Yeah mate, very scared - hence me coming on here and making sure I do all my homework this time around :)

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My training provider went out of business too half way through my MCSE, so I ended up self studying most of it. Personally, I would never pay a training provider again because you will end up self studying anyway.

MCSE in Windows 2000 is not the current track and hence you definitely should go for Server 2003.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wasn't "Howdy Doody" an American children's TV show from the 1950s (See the movie "Back to the Future II")?

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. rIKmAN

rIKmAN New Member

bluerinse: Yeah I see yourt point mate.
    I`ve done some reading on the A+ forum and have began to start filktering through for the correct study guides etc to start me off. I`ll study at home, take the practice tests and then do the exam before I even think about anything else.

tripwire: Not sure mate, I chose that title cos I didn`t want to add to the list of "Hi All" and "Hello" posts :)

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

welcome to CF

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

welcome to CF :)
    use mike meyer all in one for A+, transcender for practice test :D
    thats wot i used

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3