How??

Discussion in 'A+' started by metrock 66, Jul 19, 2008.

1. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Afternoon all, I am currently studying the comptia A+ essentials (very interesting) my question is at 42 yrs of age no it experience at all no customer experience at all never worked in a office never done any helpdesk whatsoever how would i manage to overcome (to me ) a very big hurdle. I realize money wise it will probably be around £12,000 - £14,000 thats not a problem but its just getting in (as with most new people) and even if a get a interview my cv is so dominated by the manufactoring/warehouse/forklift work i have done since i left school its such a drastic change:rolleyes:.
    I have thought about local voluntary work but again know idea where to go for this. I really want to make this work but today i have hit the preferbial brick wall so to speak as to what to do :( so if there is any local info you guys can impart its much appreciated.... :)....:rocks

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  2. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

I'm in a similar position although I have always worked in engineering until the last twelve when I have worked in sales and project management. My one big disadvantage is I am 48 years old so for a lot of people ready for the scrap heap. Don't give up though and keep learning as you never know what will materialise.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Cheers VM its not like i have given up studying doing an hour a night really enjoy it actually learning something.... :) then it dawned on me once i pass the exams how am i actually gonna get work???.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Age isn't the issue so don't worry about that.

Getting your first IT job is the hardest thing as everyone wants experience,keep trying like me and just keep on applying.

Just don't make the mistake I did and apply for jobs that are way beyond you, apply for trainee/entry level or junior roles.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Thanks GBL for that i know what to apply for and not what to apply and i will be quite happy doin the jobs like the ones you recommend but if i get an interview and the interviewer asks "so tell me about your helpdesk experience or give examples of your customer services" being as i have non i will be sort of screwed. I know its not gonna be easy and i am not just gonna walk into one, and if i apply for a helpdesk role what do i say on my cv as i have at the moment nothing to bring....:rolleyes:

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well if you are applying for a trainee role, they will know you have no experience but they may ask you "Give me an example where you dealt someone on the phone?" This could be dealing with a relative or those dodgy people who phone and try and sell you a new kitchen.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Ok thats fair comment well i suppose like in my orignal post today have hit the preferbial brick wall.... do you think it would help if i did a helpdesk course?? to compliment the A+ study or just start applying for jobs and see what develops...