How you know when you aced an interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Sep 30, 2012.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hey Everyone

Last week I had an interview for a consultant job (I love the role)

It went well and the interview lasted for a hour and 10 minutes (is this a good sign) and they gave me a technical test which they said i did very well ( i answered alot of them with confident and got some wrong but majority of the ones were correct)

when they asked for my weakness i gave a couple and they said its ok.

Also the interview started 30 minutes late because they had a meeting with a client so the interview with me went after hours.

We chatted for long and talked a little about personal things I like, i believe that i bonded well in the interview and they said that they will get back to me next week,

I know that getting a job from an interview is never 100 percent certain but what do you guys think?

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

To answer your subject line "how you know when you aced an interview", is really only one answer available which is "if you get the job"... I have had many interviews where I felt it went badly and then got the job, and vice versa.

All the best and good luck to you though

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ha ha when you get the job. I have felt like Ive truely aced three interviews in my career, and you just know, you come out and know youve nailed it mainly because of the reactions you got from the interviewers when you answered their questions.

From what you have said your chances look really good, but I never count my chickens etc until I know for sure. Good luck and well done nailing the interview

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

When they offer you the job on the spot, other then that you really don't know whether it was the interview, CV or potential you offer.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

true,

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Like people have said you just know when you've aced an interview, but whether you actually get the job is a different question.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

yeah,

they said they will let me know next week,

It is Monday here so I guess I should give it a little time.

Do you guys think I should email the person and say thank you for the interview I enjoyed it looking forward to hearing from you? it has being a week since the interview ended.

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would try and remember what you got wrong and see if you can fill those gaps in your knowledge, generally from being in an interview panel we look for people who will fit in just as much as the techy stuff as we can help people fill in the gaps if necessary.

From the feeling I get you have good chance of getting it, in your favour the staying late will be a bonus as it shows willingness, and if you got on with them well then all the better, be aware though that in every set of interviews you may get someone who just plain stands out and you cant not give them the job, so if you dont get it, then dont be too downhearted as you dont know what youre up against.

What did you say your weaknesses are? Did you say how you are working to improve on those aspects?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Don't call them or email them, you don't want to come across desperate. As far as thanking them for the interview I wouldn't bother, again for the same reasons.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

I have to agree. If they want to hire you they will contact you if they dont contact you I would suggest just moving on.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It's always difficult to tell if you aced - you can walk out thinking you did well, but the interviewer believes that you didn't. Best just to wait and see, without getting your hopes up.

In terms of emailing? It depends. Normally I would say no, but I emailed my last interviewers (on the other half's advice), and by all accounts it went down incredibly well. If done right, it can make you seem interested in the job, and working for the company. If that kind of thing impresses the interviewer, it could give you the edge over the competition. Of course, if you do it wrong, or the manager doesn't appreciate that kind of approach, then it could turn them off you.

It's up to you really. Judge for yourself how you think they will respond based on what they said to you/acted. If they gave you a business card, thats a hint (perhaps) that they are open to communication. If you do though, keep it short - thank them for taking the time to meet with you, indicate that you found the company/work very interesting, and that you look forward to talking to them again. Something like that anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Agree with Fergals comments. I did it for a job interview last year and it seemed to go down well, used it as an opportunity also to clarify an answer i gave in the interview, which she seemed to appreciate. I was offered the job.

However, a week after the interview i wouldn't do it, as it is kind of obvious you are really just giving them a nudge to find out some info :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

i got the job

WOWOOWWO i am so happy

Hard work does pay off

I will get a salary increase of 5,100 pounds and my salary will be at 28,059.02 GBP

Is this good for someone who has only being in I.T for 2 years and 10 months and who is a MCITP EA.

14. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Congrats mate. Hard work does pay off.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  15. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

No it is rubbish, i wouldn't take it.

Only joking, congrats :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  16. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

well done.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well done and congratulations :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  18. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Being pedantic that depends on where the job is in the UK and what it is doing ;)

But congrats as that's a decent 20%ish increase :)

19. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  20. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Congratulations.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA