How would you add a program to startup ?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Bambino1506, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

I'm curious as to which way you guys would make a program startup as soon as a user logs on.

scenario: User phones requesting you get outlook to run automatically when he logs on, he is the sole user of the workstation.

Do you,

Goto documents and settings and find the startup folder and then add the outlook program to it.

or

Goto start|run type mmc add a group policy snap-in and add the outlook path to the "run these programs at user logon" section of the computer config

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Personally I'd just add it to the startup folder. 8)

3. rezarf

rezarf New Member

I would also just add it to the startup folder, thats what I do on my system. That way if I find I no longer need to have this program startup when logging in I can easily remove it from the startup folder.

I have a short cut to the Startup Folder on my desktop for quick access.

Rezarf

WIP: MCDST or A+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with "Start-up folder", it simple and easy for the user to get rid off when he/she doesn't want it anymore :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Single user: Startup folder.
    Multiple users: Group Policy.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Thanks alot guys :biggrin

I was a little confused as to when to use the different methods, you've cleared it up for me, thanks.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA