How will the recession effect the I.T Industry?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nellyp123, Jan 20, 2009.

1. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

After reading the thread from fatp....it got me thinking? :dry

How will the recession effect the I.T industry and what area's (design/development, support, networking ect..)
    will be effected the most?
    I have just started freelancing in the area of web/graphic design and i am looking for a more permanent position, but i have seen a slight decline in vacancies. Unless you live in bloody London :x, you can't find many agencies recruiting and freelance opportunities are wearing thin!

Just wondering if anyone has experience the same and in what area's?

- neil

Certifications: CIW Professional
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think it will depend what area of IT you're in.

There will always be a need to maintain infrastructure and servers/desktops. I can see development projects being put on hold.

I can also see companies trying to use their IT more for business development and marketing so CRM type work could increase.

For web - may become more cut-throat but there are always loads of web jobs down Bournemouth way if you're interested ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I heard Brighton is good for web designers/developers as well.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No field or industry is immune from this recession (apart from maybe the DWP), however that's not to say that it's all bleak news. If a company is willing to provide a good service for a fraction of what the competitors are charging (regardless of what field) there is money to be made, for example just look at the "cheaper" stores (eg 99p shop, Aldi, Lidl, etc), their profits are up and they're hiring (just see Aldi's roadshows).

I do have to say that I have seen a drop in IT vancancies both online and in the local paper, but I'm still seeing IT adverts around...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

We were informed yesterday that ALL salaries for 2009 are now frozen, and our 401k matching percent went from 5% to 3%. They say if that doesn't help the company this year, then this time next year (if not sooner) they will start to lay off.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+