How well is the A+ recognised in Europe.

Discussion in 'A+' started by peterp, Jun 28, 2004.

1. peterp

peterp Bit Poster

Hi all
    Part of the reason I'm studying the A+ cert is that we(wife & I)are thinking of possibly uprooting and living in Europe at some point.
    Does anyone know how well recoginsed the A+ qualification actually is in Europe?
    Many thanks all
    Regards
    Peter.

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I suppose it is as well recognised as any other certification anywhere else. Those in the IT sector will know what it is and what it stands for, almost anyone else will be clueless:blink.

BTW, where are you thinking of moving to? Europe is a very big place, and when I last looked the UK was also part of it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

the uk? part of europe? get outta here!!! go on, get! next you'll be insinuating that we should adopt the euro! nah, we tolerate europes presence like we tolerate a small annoying child, lol.

:rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. peterp

peterp Bit Poster

Sorry Nugget,Think I was meant to say"Outside of the UK" to be more specific.,
    Because of our backgrounds,we may be contemplating a life in sunny Italy...but we'll see.

Cheers
    Peter. :biggrin

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

oooohh, get you fergal :D

Let's see how long you can stand our temper tantrums before we get our way. :D

Peter, you might want to try south Switzerland too. They speak italian and you would get paid more.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  6. Fergal1982

lol. we shall see, lol.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey, come on Guys- play nice here...

Peter's just making a few general enquiries, on his first day of posting, and you're blasting each other on politics :eek:

It's Group Policies we deal in, I tell you ....:argue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Fergal1982

i know, im only messing.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Fergal, if the UK is not part of Europe then what continent is it a part of?

Not all countries recognise certs gained elsewhere. For example Australia does not recognise my City and Guilds in Electronics, which is a bummer because it took me 5 years to attain them [​IMG]

Having said that most IT certs are global because of the global nature of IT

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Fergal1982

lol we're a continent unto ourselves.:tune

i hate it when people try to sell quals to you (ie on a website) and they're quals that are recognised by, like, one company in the world. grrrrrrrrr.

i think A+ is actually good with recognition, its recognised in both the uk and in the US aint it?????

Fergal

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I was waiting to see how this one would work out. Of course, I had no clue about how well the A+ is received in Europe but I know it's pretty universally accepted in the US. I'm also completely clueless when it comes to whatever the political relationship is between the UK and Europe and whether or not the UK is considered part of Europe. While I agree with Gav that we should strive to play nice together and share our toys, it's understandable that the occasional personal opinion should slip by. Just keep in mind that certforums isn't a "UK only" club and anybody from anywhere can just surf on in and judge us by the content. Food for thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

most IT certifications are respected worldwide
    notice I say certifications and not qualifications
    I C&G, HND, BTEC etc is not considered an 'IT Certification' but an academic qualification, and as such may only be recognised in its country of issue

A+ will work fine in europe, MS certs will be fine anywhere that uses MS products, Cisco certs will work anywhere that deploys cisco hardware, etc :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. Fergal1982

i agree trip. im not one to think of people as more than people. for instance, whilst i may say i dont like america - what i ACTUALLY mean, is i dont like the american administration. individuals are a completely different matter. i was just messing around, being sarcastic, you know the type. (in terms of politics, i think to a large degree, that the UK is VERY pro EU - maybe with the exception of the euro itself).

and, of course, having a multicultural forum is cool, not only do we get insights into the IT status/IT troubleshooting techniques of other countries, we get to meet new people too!

Fergal

14. Fergal1982

oooh oooh, peter, are you an the wife both studying A+ together? you finding that its helping? or are you just getting under each others feet with it?

one of the best bets to find out how recognised it is, is to email a company in the area you want to live in, and ask them how much stock they place in the qual - maybe do this with a few companies.

another idea for you to consider is that several recruitment agencies in the UK actually recruit for companies abroad (in which case the cert would be looked at from the UK perspective). it also means its less hassle to find a job, and you dont have to move until its been finalised - preventing going abroad and ending up unemployed!

Fergal

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Trip mate, the majority of the political stuff is just jest, we are part of the european continent, the EU and the EEC (I believe), so were pretty much European through and through, the more patriotic british will say 'were not european, were british' like not calling canadians american because they are from north america (I would get my head chopped off for calling my canadian friends american)

its like londoners refer to anyone outside the M25 as tourists :)
    and South Londoners consider anyone from north of the river to be a 'northern monkey'

its all mainly just jest :)

16. Fergal1982

the M25???? is that that river that surrounds London? is that what its called? lol :rolleyes:

yep, all in jest - the whole scottish english thing too (though, as always, for some its more serious for some than others)

its one of the things i love most about internet communities. no fixed geographical point. in a sense, our location's are all 102.765.0.1, etc. hell, i could be on the moon and no-one would know any better.

i find that internet communities are great cause they override all the forms of prejudice. we are all faceless bodies in this 'world', an while that can be used incorrectly, it can also be of great benefit too. we are all equal, except within the heirarchy within the community (mods, admin, etc), which is based on how well you can do what you want to do.

sorry for hijacking your thread pete, i didnt mean it, an sorry for this rant all, i just get a bit wound up with this kinda thing in the workplace: im less likely to get a job cause i wear nail polish an have fangs - yet i could be a better candidate than all the rest by far! and if i want to get a job, i have to turn up in a 'suitable' manner. its not just based on how good i am at the job!

sorry again!

Fergal

17. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

How true, When I first moved to the UK I got so fed up of people finding out I was canadian and then asking what part of the states is that in:evil: .

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

lol and here i was thinking the english were not that ignorant :)

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh yes they are, and I should know cause I is one [​IMG]

M. A. B. It's a big horse I'm a Londoner

Pete

PS M25 = Road to Hell
    Much rather drive on the Pacific Highway nowadays!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Jeez, see what trouble an innocent tongue in cheek statement can stir up. Sorry about that Peter.:oops: