1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Big_nath, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

I am wondering how i add infomation in the bottom right of the desktop. e.g. PC name, ip, service pack installed etc. I have seen it quite a bit, but have never worked anywhere that have set it up.

i tried googling it, but as i don't know what it is discribed as it is hard, lol.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Check out

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Cheers guys, i will take a look in a while.

5. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

It is great, but is it possible to set it to automatically stay there even if the user changes their background?

6. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

This is covered in one of my MS Press books. There's a tweak that you can make to an .ini file; think it's just a case of adding in an extra parameter. Can't remember which one though. I'll take a look tonight and get back to you tomorrow (so long as I remember of course!).

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  7. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Got this on my work machine :) Wish i could put it on the servers but my 'manager' didnt seem interested.

8. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Right, here goes:

Locate the boot.ini file (I'm sure you can find it. Do a search in My Computer if not) and open it with Notepad. Add in the following switch:

\SOS

Here's an example:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /sos

This will display the machine's version number, physical memory, the number of CPU's it possesses and more!

Hope that helps. :)

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642