How to tidy the inside of your pc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by albertc30, Apr 3, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.

I am looking into clean, or better, arrange the wires inside my pc cause it just looks a really mess.
    I was looking at this website http://www.frozencpu.com/index.html for parts, as I think that building your power cables from scratch and just to the required length will be just about right and they have all sorts of plugs/connectors but, they're in the States.

Anyone knows where to buy the same sort of things here in the UK?
    I have, trust me, goggled it but all I could find was either in the States or Canada.

Any tricks or comments on how to keep your PC wires nice, in order to keep a good air flow, are more than welcome.

Happy Easter everybody.

Attached Files:

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I've always used cable ties. Cheap and simple

3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I was looking for a particular case where all the cables (power, harddisk etc) are kept behind the plate that the motherboard sits on, and this plate has a number of holes in it so that the cables can be pulled for appropriate attachment. With sweet little rubber protections around the holes etc... Too bad the case costs something in the tune of 500 pounds?

Then there's also this new Thermaltake: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1341&ID=1897

Also not cheap :) But I would imagine you can set all the cables to be entirely hidden from the look of things...

Now back to your question about finding custom power cord ends for the internal bits and pieces. Back when I was doing some PC repairs, our shop had those individual parts. Since then I haven't found them anywhere... Cutting the cables and stripping the plastic sheath is not the problem, it's those metal connectors which need to be crimped that becomes a bummer to work on. And nowadays many power supplies have elaborate sleeves on the connectors to make it all pretty...

Eh, good luck. Don't get electrocuted. I don't have fond memories of the resoldering I did on power supply units.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

The best way to manage cables etc is buy investing in a decent case. Buy a cheap case and that's what you get. Buy a decent case and it will last you for an an awfully long time.

Corsair make a couple of front runners for best cases (that people can afford unlike the ridiculous designer ones) around.

The 800d

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Cors...-Case-with-Side-Window-3-x-140mm-Fans-w-o-PSU

This is what I use and it works perfectly. I have 11 Hard Drives and 2 DVD drives running from the front onwards, as well as 9 fans dotted around and it still manages to hide most of the cables away. With both cases all the cables run at the other side of the case behind the motherboard tray etc. It can be a bit difficult to get them flat enough to the other side panel doesn't bow. But its not overly difficult.

Too be honest, a good case is the same as a good power supply, you can't really put a value on it until something happens. Like you run out of space to fit things in and what not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are releasing the 700d

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Cors...-Black-Full-Tower-Case-3-x-140mm-fans-w-o-PSU

Which doesn't have the hot swap or window. But same size etc.

And trimming your molex and sata power connectors is easy. You just push the pins out of the connector, trim the wires, attach the clips onto the wires and then push them back into the connector. The Sata power ones usually have a little clip on lid thing that you can pop off, remove the wire, take the clip off, trim down, push the clip over the wire (it will cut into it) and then push back into the connector, lid on. Sorted.

http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-crimping.htm

These are the pins and crimping tools I use to shorten Power Connectors (molex and sata) and indeed fan cables.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Another thumbs up from me for the 800D, I also have the TJ09 and TJ07, both great cases for air and watercooling (respectively) and hiding cables.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Fantastic cases aren't they!

I'm going to get the 700d when it's released. I want to see how much easier manage now that all of the hard drives are facing outwards rather than towards the motherboard. The ones underneath the hot swap pays are a pain in the arse to get too with all the PSU cables hidden under there.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Oooh yeah, the Corsair was the one I was thinking about. Man, it has gone down in price! Used to be like 800 US bucks?

Sweet case... might have to pick one up myself one day.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Oh, forgot to mention that my PC Tower is a Thermaltake Soprano DX which Is a medium tower and overall well built, but the loose wires inside are just driving insane, or maybe, just maybe, OCD is kicking in.. lol...
    Thanks to you all and keep it coming.
    I might just buy the wires and plugs from US and get rid of this mess, lol....

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+