How to Stop the Dilbertization of IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by wizard, Mar 17, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Didn't know where really to put this, came across the link to this article in one of the emails I get everyday:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2104937,00.asp

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Great article.

I don't know enough about the IT field to be able to comment fully, but I would imagine that the prevailing ambience may also has a lot do with the kind of company you're working for. If it's a crap company, you'll get crap working conditions. If it's a good company that cares for the welfare of it's employees, then working conditions are usually good.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's hard to relight the "fun" back into the IT professional when in alot of companies, people see the IT dept no higher than cleaners (there's nothing wrong with being a cleaner, it's just not the field I'm in). We seldom get thanked, but we're the first dept to get the blame. The training budget shinks, for example at first it was £2k per person, now halved to £1k per person. Alot of companies (it seems) want high end professional quals, eg the MCSA/E, as the entry requirement.

And it's no wonder that alot of people aren't entering the IT profession when entry level jobs start at £12k pa when office admin jobs, carers, sales people, etc alot of their entry level jobs start higher salaries than that.

As for working environments, normally the IT dept is in the basement or in a crampt room.

Granted we, as IT professionals, have to start to change, but it's hard, when you're work flat out at work, then going home and continuing the work there :( Or maybe it's just the places I've work so far (well the majority of them).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

IT will never again be a 'fun' industry to work in simply because now that middle management have been able to persuade the upper corporate echelons that IT isn't anything to be scared of, they can spend their time stifling creativity in their usual stupid way, and ensuring that 'costs' can be cut by hiring stupid, clueless arseholes who can't do their own jobs properly, safe in the knowledge that there will always be people around who pick up the slack.

There are hundreds of other reasons the industry is becoming a joke, but the main one boils down to middle management now seeing IT as a bottomless pit of cost as opposed to the enabler that it truly is.

A perfect example of this is the growing trend of recruiting people with finance backgrounds as CIOs - they are recruited with one single remit - reduce the IT budget.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't know about you guys... but *I'm* still having fun...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Kitkatninja

ok mate, and your company is providing what drugs? :tongue

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. BosonMichael

It's a healthcare company, so I've got my pick. :eek:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Kitkatninja

Excellent :lol:

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

What letter of the alphabet are you up to so far? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I bet you any money he'll stop when he gets to the letter 'V'...

:biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well after the *V* he might need the *Z* if he gets a sore lip :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. BosonMichael

I was in the middle of doing them and took something that made me lose track of where I was, so I had to start over again. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I was so I won't know which drug it was until I take it again... which will make me forget which drug I was on again. Infinite loop, and all that.

Perhaps I should start at Z and work my way back to get the other half... hmm....