How to stop mindless munching at work

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

How to stop mindless munching at work

If you're carrying a few extra pounds, it may not be after-dinner snacking that's to blame. The culprit could be your workplace.

Cookies at every meeting, too many birthday cakes, vending machines stocked with fatty snacks, even the office candy dish can all undermine your healthy eating efforts.

It's not only poor food choices - or sedentary jobs - that predispose us to gain weight at work. Research suggests the nature of your job also plays a role.

According to researchers from Laval University in Quebec City, mental activities such as reading, writing and computer work can trigger overeating. In the study, published this month in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine, students performed three 45-minute tasks and were then served an all-you-can-eat buffet.

The researchers measured food consumption after each of the following tasks: 1) resting in a sitting position, 2) reading a document and writing a summary, and 3) performing a battery of computer tests.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess I ought to get rid of the Pop-Tarts and chips I have in my office.

Naaaaaah! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I dry my own fruit in the dehydrator
    cranberries, apples, banana, mango, peach, and anything else i can get my hands on, bring a little bag of munchies with you

a lot of the fruit we use is locally grown without pesticides too, (although not the more exotic kinds that I like!) and we don't add the sugar and 'stabilizers' that most the store bought brands add

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

oops, better get rid of the pack of chocolate biscuits in my desk draw :oops:

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

For me it's the beer and crisps that go with my online gaming and searching for pr0n sessions in the evening.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I think for me its the coca cola addiction and maybe the fact that theres normally a large bar of cadburys fruit and nut in my bedside drawer :oops: cant resist the stuff. Im addicted to chocolate, coca cola and granny smith apples, oh and im a 2 a day mullers yoghurt man too but that is linked to the factory being down the road and my step dad working there :lol:

EDIT: I'm not all bad though, i've just got back from an hours running around playing five a side football, my only exercise of the week lol

WIP: A+
  7. postman

postman Byte Poster

May I recommend acupunture for who can those who can't control themselves...........Stick the needles in your eyes and you'll no longer be able to find your munchies therefore, no problem:D. Or you could always lay of the waccy baccy:ohmy

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just drink coffee all day, problem solved. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Get a rubber pen, and wrap more rubber round it, and chew on it, should you ever get the desire for snacks, chewing gum may also help

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

There's a farmer's market on in the city, so I just got myself the biggest sausage sammich ever.

Well, not exactly ever, but it was moosive. And great.

I like food. I can't help liking food. I don't tend to snack at all, I can be quite disciplined... but when it comes to eating the *wrong* stuff... I don't eat McDs or anything like that. But I can't help myself on sausage and egg sandwiches especially.

One thing I learned from someone (possibly on here, but it mentions it in the article too), is that the receptors for hunger and thirst are the same. If you think you're hungry, drink some water. If it goes away, you were just thirsty. If it doesn't... you're hungry!

It works, too. Sausage sandwiches aside, I've lost nigh on a stone recently. (not just from that tip, I've been trying to keep to the Slim Fast plan "most of the time" too)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Ah i guess i should put the doughnut down?!:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If you're not going to eat that, pass it this way.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Ah my bad, to late. It's just vanished!!!:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few