How to set up server

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by steveh2001, Jul 20, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been posted before - i have read over the similar threads but still a bit confused.

I want to set up a VPC with MS server 2003 eval version, and make some standard xp VPC's to have a few members of a network, and set up active directory to play around with group policies, and network/system managment. Bearing in mind this is all new to me, and i dont have any server experience, is this a hard thing to do? Something i should not attempt yet?

Any advice would be appreciated :D

Steve

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Go for it Steve, you will find out for yourself how easy it is then :D

Just install the OS, make sure that DNS is installed on the server and all is hunky dory in Event Viewer and then do a DCPROMO to promote it to a domain controller. Make sure your clients have the DC as their preferred DNS server, as that is how local name resolution needs to function.

Any hiccups, post them here and we can help!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Thanks for the encouragement Bluerinse!

Looking forward to having a go - but its quite complex :D

Few questions to start with!

Networking - initially i thought id keep it as an internal network, i.e. no contact with my actual network, and build up a server + say 2 clients which can only talk to themselves - would this be ok? Just when i tried setting it up earlier i kept getting IP conflicts on my actual PC when setting up VMware with the host only option - i just thought it would be easier this way!

Secondly - you mentioned:

"Make sure your clients have the DC as their preferred DNS server, as that is how local name resolution needs to function."

If i install, say windows XP on the clients, how would i set up a DNS DC as a DNS server?

Many thanks :D

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

1. When you *install* the DC using DCPROMO command it checks to see if you have DNS installed otherwise it does it for you.

2. When you on the client before joining it to the domain and have given it an IP address, further down that configuration box is the DNS Server - there you put the IP address in this case of your DC as this is also the DNS Server.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Cheers zimbo ill give it a go!