How to run group policy editior

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cypher05, Aug 2, 2005.

1. cypher05

cypher05 New Member

I am running a personal computer at home and i am wondering how to run the group policy editor, because system restore has been turned off by our mechanic and i want it on. i have tried the start > run > gpedit.msc and it says the file cannot be found i was just wondering if there was another way round this or how to enable it again. I am currnetly running windows xp proffesional although it is not part of a domain and is not connected to any other computer in anyway but when the mechanic fixed it says its diabled in group policy im confused because it says the file gpedit.msc cannot be found :( and as for the My Pc >> Properties >> there is no system restore on their :S:S:S

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Gonna need a little more info, cypher05. Is your home computer part of a domain? Also, what OS are you running? If you have Windows XP Home Edition, it does not have this tool because by design it can't join a domain. I did find an article on the subject if it helps:

http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/eac/knowledgebaseAnswer/0,295199,sid63_gci973117,00.html

Please respond with a bit more information. BTW, if you haven't done so yet, please pop up to the New Members Introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself and how you found us. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If all you want to do is turn on system restore here is a link that tells you how.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Cant you just goto system properties (My compiter right click -> properties) and turn it on via the System Restore tab?
    or is it greyed out

not that i would ever recommend system restore ofcourse

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. ffreeloader

phoenix,

Yeah, that's the way to do it, but you have to be logged in as either Admin or on an account that has admin privileges.

That's basically what the link I gave showed. I just figured a visual HOW TO would be the best way to explain it.

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

cool sorry freddy, didnt click your link :)
    as far as im aware there isnt a way to do it as a non admin user anyway, so thats a requirement :)
    could be wrong on that part though

7. ffreeloader

No biggie. I just figured that I'd better make sure that the part about needing to be an admin to do this was visible outside the link.

I just figured you're a lot like me and are so used to having admin privileges that it just slipped your mind. I can't tell you how many times I've told people to go here, do this, do that, and it will fix your problem. And then had them come back with, I couldn't find what you told me to do. Doing the task as admin was just such a given to me that I didn't even think about someone else not knowing it.

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

haha i hear that
    got-root? means a whole lot more these days! :D