How to run an exe on pc you can't boot into?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zr79, Dec 12, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Say you have a pc you can't boot into, you try all kinds of things to fix the problem but with no luck, well i can boot into a live cd and copy some exe on the pcs hd easy enough, but how do i actually run the exe, as far as i can see the recovery console(xp) can't run exes, i think from the RC you can use the batch command to run txt files, yes txt files, not even bat files. So i guess i would also have to make a txt script to run the exe and then use, "batch file.txt" where file.txt contained say, "file.exe" have both script and exe in the same dir.

But then what if the exe had installation gui prompts etc, is there any way to run the exe from a live cd but yet point the installation to the pcs hd?

confusing?

Certifications: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What is it that you are trying to do?

Basically all you are doing is viewing the contents of a hard drive from your live CD. You can't actually run a program from the damaged operating system, because the damaged OS is not active in memory i.e. it is not 'running'.

So you can only use diagnostic tools that are either running in the live CD environment of your choice or the tools present in the recovery console.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Yeah i thought so, why can't you run exe's from the recovery console though, i assumed the RC with like booting in with command prompt, which it obvioulsy is not.

Certifications: A+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No, shelling out to the command prompt in windows still gives you the full power of whatever OS you were using with the GUI and potentially more. The recovery console is a *limited* set of commands that you can use to try and fix things however, it is no where near as powerful as DOS 6.22 :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)