How to restrict concurrent logons in Active Directory?...You can't?

Discussion in 'Software' started by drum_dude, Apr 6, 2005.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi all,

Whilst studying my 70-217 book I suddendly remembered how in Netware you could restrict concurrent user logons. As a admin chap for NT and Netware where I work I always thought this was a good function in Netware. So I thought to myself "How does one do this in Active Directory?"...then after that thought I found this:

http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=938

All I can say is what a flippin' joke!! How the heck did M$ miss that one, and their workaround takes the biscuit too? I know u can restrict logon by workstations in AD via Netbios Naming but thats pretty useless!

Thats my rant over...

If you already knew about this then please forgive my lateness in discovering it!!!

Cheers

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Speaking as a previous Netware 3.12 admin, I am surprised too. I was aware of this but it still seems weird in this day and age that multiple log ins are not easily preventable in Microsoft NOS's

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. EMacd

EMacd Bit Poster

Purely out of interest.....

If you line up 10 or so workstations on a Netware network with the same user name and get 10 users to hit return at the same time it overwhelms the system and all 10 PCs will be logged in as the same user.

This gets demonstrated on a regular basis by PC savy pupils when they get hold of a teachers login. and they go rampaging through the network where they can't usually go.

The only way we've found to catch 'em is by checking the connections on a regular basis and binning multiples.

anyway, just for interest

Cheers,

Euan

4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Cheers EMacd, I never knew that? Quite a nasty flaw really!!! Damn kids eh?

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. EMacd

EMacd Bit Poster

Yeah....kids = vermi...what am I saying? Sometimes the teachers are worse!!!!

We're always a step behind trying to catch up.

Cheers