How to move on?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mkid, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

Hello all,

I feel that its time for me to move on from my current position, I am a 1/2nd line support analyst, dealing mainly with AS400/AIX issues, with the odd infrastructure request here and there, these get passed on to the dedicated infrastructure team if not resolved.

I have had a few informal conversations with my managers to flag up my interest in moving on to the infrastructure team and have been promised that once a position arises this will happen. Our senior system admin is keen to have me on board, he has spoken to the same managers, but due to ‘’budget’’ he has been turned down 3 times.

I am not willing to wait anymore, nearly 2 years and I am still doing the same thing, so my mind is made up. I have completed the N+ and MCSA. My question is this : what kind of jobs should I apply for? I feel ready for a second line job but how do I structure my CV to make it more appealing to infrastructure jobs?

Really hoping for some good feedback as I feel lost! Any questions please ask.

Thanks.

Certifications: N+ MCSA
    WIP: Exchange
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Start with posting your CV so we can take a look !
    no personal info tho mate!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply Dazza.

That is my problem, I feel that my CV is not adequate for an infrastructure role, as I stated before, it is mainly AS400/AIX/EDI stuff. Am I being realistic thinking about a second line infrastructure role? Is it feasible to go from an AS400/AIX background to a second line infrastructure role?

NB: I am more than happy to post my CV if needs be, but my question was mainly to debate the feasibility of moving from one IT field to another....

Hope this makes sense.

4. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

More feedback would really be appreciated. :oops:

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Patients mate, people will respond, you can't rush us.

Honest answer, apply for 2nd Line jobs, if you don't get any joy then look at adapting your CV.

If you get offered a new job happy days, if not then you haven't lost anything.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

Sorry Craigie :oops:

Thanks for the reply, I guess you are right, I will work on my CV the best I can and see how it goes.

Cheers.

7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Basically mate, look at a few 2nd line job postings and see what they require... then if you've done what they want, tailor your CV to state that, and then tell them about your other stuff in the interview (if they ask).
    If you haven't done what they want, then you're not gonna be the person they want to hire

it's all dependant on what they want from a person and what you can do

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I work as a recruitment consutant for the Precision Engineering (Manufacturing) sector but only for 2 years mind you :rolleyes:

I see perhaps 100 CV's a day so I get a good feel for a Bad CV to a good one regardless of the Industry (Precision Engineering is still quite technical anyway) so here is my advice anyway on writing CV's

Here is a Good CV (The margains are of course a bit muddled up but you get the general Idea)

Tel: (Home) ****** (view contact details) (Mobile) ***** (view contact details)
    Email: (view contact details)

PERSONAL PROFILE:

An experienced technical engineer for the infrastructure support team with excellent customer service/support skills. I am confident, focused and reliable in achieving my goals and any new challenges I’m faced with to the best of my ability.

CAREER HISTORY:

Dec 2008 to Present (Part Time)

Assisting with family retail business
    In charge of purchasing, pricing, stock rotation, liaising with sales reps.
    Assist with quarterly accounts

Oct 2005 to Nov 2008 (Permanent)
    SUPPORT ENGINEER: Combined International Services Ltd, (Insurance Company, Kingston)
    1st/2nd line support for UK and European Offices - 700 users
    Support Intel (2000, XP, Server 2003 Standard and Enterprise) and Citrix (XP & PS4.5) Environment
    Operate an Incident Management and escalation procedure to agreed severity levels
    Break/Fix for Networked and Standalone PC’s/Laptops and Peripherals
    Assist Project team with projects such as Roll-outs, Office Moves, Relocation
    Responsible for Backup Management for UK and European Sites. Ensure backups are complete and troubleshoot any issues (Symantec Backup Exec v11d)
    Responsible for Anti-Virus Server ensuring all Networked/Standalone Clients/Servers are installed with the latest AV client and protected with up-to-date definitions
    Installation and Support of 3rd Party Applications on application server as well as onto Citrix Servers
    Publish new applications across Citrix Farm and ensure these are visible to specified users
    Configure Neoware Terminals (Dumb Terminals), Desktops, Laptops to allow access to Citrix Sessions for all Citrix User Base
    Knowledge of Lotus Notes v7.0.2, Microsoft Active Directory, Group Policy Editor, DHCP, KIX log-in script, VMWare and 3rd Party VMWare Backup Tool – Vranger Pro
    Basic administration of Websense inc Blocking and Unblocking websites
    Troubleshoot network issues before escalating to Network Support Team
    Support remote VPN access to remote users with AD Integration using Cisco VPN
    Problem diagnosis and resolution of software faults for desktops, laptops and servers
    Identify faulty hardware and install replacement parts for desktops, laptops, servers and peripherals
    Enforcing the company policy governing the use of authorised software on users PCs and laptops
    Furnish spares provision and ‘hot swap’ capabilities to agreed locations and maintain an appropriate level of spare stock to ensure the fix time SLA’s are met
    Informal desk side training and familiarisation with standard applications
    Hardware installation and moves for Telephone Handsets, PCs and Peripherals
    Provide input into SoX and general Audit as required
    Produce and disseminate Internet Usage reports upon request
    Mentoring and coaching of 1st and 2nd line support staff
    Basic Level Telephony System Administration

Apr 2005 to Oct 2005 (Contract)
    DESKTOP SUPPORT: Xbridge Ltd (leading UK on-line Intermediary, Moorgate)
    Responsible for the provision of Desktop and Helpdesk support to internal users
    Setting-up desktop PC’s and Laptops for new users and connecting to network
    PC configuration and installation including hard drives, memory cards, video cards
    Provision of installation and technical support on applications
    Resolving problems and troubleshooting activities for network & PC based systems
    Ensuring all computers have Anti-Virus software installed and firewalls are enabled
    Administration such as adding users, database updates and software installations

June 2005 to Jul 2005 (Contract)
    IT ENGINEER: Abbey Legal Group (Legal Insurance Company, Croydon)
    Responsible for setting up voice recording system for home users all over England
    Carried out PC configuration and installation at the office and at home users homes
    Carried out XP rollouts in the office
    Resolved network connection issues from home users PC to the office

Apr 2004 Oct 2005
    MCSE STUDENT: Britannia IT Training Academy
    Gaining extensive hands-on experience of all Microsoft products through studies
    Course - CompTIA A+ Hardware & Software (Passed)
    Course - CompTIA Network+ (Passed)
    MCSE 2003 (5 MCP’s) XP, Windows Server2003, Implementing Network Infrastructure, Planning Network Infrastructure, Planning Implementing and Maintaining Windows server2003 Active Directory
    CCNA (Exam yet to be taken)

KEY ACHEIVEMENTS:

Quick progression within the company reflects my ability and reliability
    Roll out of Citrix across company for easier monitoring and fault resolution
    Gaining substantial knowledge of various technologies inc: Citrix, Symantec Backup Exec v11, VMware, Websense
    Obtaining MCP’s and ITIL Certification

SKILLS SUMMARY:

Operating Systems: MS Windows 95, NT, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, Server 2003, Unix
    Networking Concepts: TCP/IP, WINS, DNS, DHCP
    Applications: Microsoft Management Console (MMC) inc: Active Directory, MS Office XP, 2003, Lotus Notes, Outlook, McAfee, Symantec Anti-Virus, Symantec Backup-Exec v11d, Citrix XP & PS4.5, VMware, Websense, SQL Enterprise, WSUS, DameWare, Cisco VPN, Blackberry
    IT Call Login Application: Peregrine Service Centre, Incident Monitor
    Financial Applications: Peoplesoft, Bloomberg
    Telephony Applications: CMS Supervisor, Definity
    Programming Languages: Visual C++ both on Windows and Unix, Visual Basic 6, HTML, Oracle Developer 7, Java2 (J2EE), SQL, MySql, ODBC/JDBC, JavaScript, Select SSADM, UML (Rational Rose), Dbase 4,
    Languages: Fluent in Gujrati, basic in Hindi and French

QUALIFICATIONS:

ITIL Certified Foundation Level v3 (Nov 2007)
    A+, Network+, 5MCP’s (2004-2005)
    MSc in Software Engineering (University of ********) 2002-2003
    BSc (Hons) Degree 2:2 in Business Computing (University of *******) 1999-2002

REFERENCES:

Available on request

This is a bad CV (if this is a CV of anyone on here this is JUST MY OPINION and Im sorry If this happens to be yours! :) I have taken absolutlely everything out of the CV that would be used to Identify you and most information of the locations.

OVERVIEW

I am confident, self-motivated and dedicated to hard work and high standards. I am flexible and reliable and I have just under 20yrs of experience working in various IT departments.

EXPERIENCE
    2006-Present ********
    IT Manager ********
    Responsible for all IT infrastructure requirements.
    Responsible for the 1st line technical support of all main servers and user pc's.
    Maintenance / Renewal of all hardware and software requirements.
    Responsible for all Index phone system requirements.
    Daily checks / backups and restores.
    Responsible for all internet traffic requirements.
    All office network requirements, Cabling, Hubs, Switches, VPN sessions etc.
    Responsible for all documentation production and updates.
    Submitting timely and accurate documentation and reports.
    Annual license renewals.
    Overseas communications with international customers.
    Communications with telecoms suppliers.
    Installing joint venture companies with new phone systems and network cabeling.
    Reporting to CEO.

2005-2006 SERCO
    2006 Backend Server Support London Bridge
    Responsible for backup and restore procedures over various platforms
    Responsible for the production of monthly statistic reports.

1996-2005 ITNET
    2002-2005 UNIX and MICROSOFT Technical Support London Bridge
    Responsible for 1st line technical support for UNIX, NT and 2000 platforms.
    Responsible for updates / patches server upgrades.
    Daily checks / backups and restores.
    Monthly statistic reports.
    Disaster Recovery.

2000-2002 ITNET
    ICL Computer Analyst London Bridge
    Responsible for all first line technical support.
    Responsible for all upgrade and patching requirements.
    Responsible for all documentation production and updates.
    Responsible for implementing all users technical requirements.

1999-2000 ITNET
    Print Services Manager Croydon
    Responsible for all aspects of printing for the LBC contract.
    Submitting timely and accurate documentation and reports.
    Writing progress reports.
    Responsible for all administration and stock requirements.
    Responsible for the high level of customer service and safety standards.
    Maintaining a good working relationship with officials and all end users.
    Rapport building and client focused working.

1997-1999 ITNET
    Job Scheduler Croydon
    Use of Jobwatch and Helmsman job- scheduling tools on ICL mainframe.
    Responsible for setting up of all batch and development jobs for Colchester and Croydon Borough Council.
    Responsible for two successful financial year ends.

1996-1997 ITNET
    Senior Computer Operator Croydon
    Responsible for all BAA related operational tasks.
    Responsible for smooth hand over of all BAA related work to Itnet.
    Responsible for 1st line support for all technical related problems.

1989-1996 BAA
    1993-1996 Senior Computer Operator Gatwick
    Responsible for overseeing all operator tasks.
    Responsible for basic fix on fail of adhoc and production jobs.
    Responsible for call out of technical support for job failures.
    Responsible for all shift leader tasks when shift leader absent.

1990-1993 BAA
    Computer Operator Gatwick
    Responsible for running 3 mainframe computer systems.
    Responsible for all financial printing including monthly pay runs.
    Responsible for the successful completion of all month / year end financial work.

1989-1990
    Trainee Computer Operator BAA
    Gatwick
    Basic introduction to hardware / software used.
    Introduction to user requirements.
    Getting up to speed on all basic aspects of the operations environment.
    Basic shift tasks.

EDUCATION

1984-1988 ****** Comprehensive School ******

GCSE Mathematics, English Literature, English language, Human Biology, Economics, French, Chemistry, Craft Design and Technology.

1988-1989 ITEC Computer College *******
    · City & Guilds in computer programming

In house courses attended
    An introduction to UNIX
    ITIL - IT Infrastructure Library
    First Aid Competency

Technical Skills
    Unix
    Solaris
    VME
    Dec Vax
    Honeywell Bull
    Jobwatch
    Helmsman
    NT / XP / Windows 2000/2003 Server
    Lotus Notes - User\Administrator.
    Veritas
    Legato
    Arcserve
    Citrix
    Basic Networking
    Index Phone Systems
    Airline Booking Systems Including Amadeus and Air Kiosk
    Hitchhiker

INTERESTS

Running, Cycling, Swimming, Squash, Reading.

Personal Information

Date of Birth ******
    Nationality British

NI Number N (view contact details)A

The Good CV has an excellent description on each of his job roles, there described in detail in terms of his day to day duties and responsibilities, i would go on but I am work at the moment :dry

As for the Bad CV it is bad because the Job decriptions look awfully generic comparing them to each other and has the word "responsibilities" included about 5 times in each job description, some people think this makes a CV look tidy but no! it doesn't not in the slightest! it just makes a CV look like youve rushed through it and not taken your time to produce it.

His Overview/Personal Statement/Key Skills is awfully short and isn't presenting his skills as well as it could, a personal statement area on a CV is extremley important this is what you can use best to tailor your CV for that specific job your after and lean it towards key points mentioned in the Job description perhaps.
    I could go on for ever but I'm at Work! :D maybe I'll transfer this to the CV thread in this Subforum, maybe best.

Hope thats enlightened you on creating a "good" CV for your IT Job your aiming for.

Wish you luck with your job Hunting if you decide to go on the hunt :D

(If Ive left anything on the 2 CV's that could be used to Identify that person! Please let me know! or perhaps this is your CV that Ive displayed in that case let me know and I will take it down right away at your request!)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  9. JamesCG

JamesCG Bit Poster

From a management point of view here's how they are supposed to look at it:

It's time for a promotion when a worker is already exhibiting the desired qualities of the next position in his/her career path. If you're handling some 2nd line requests already then you are promotable. This goes for just about any industry. That's what they teach you in business school.

Now, this doesn't necessarily mean they should promote you to 2nd line immediately. There needs to be a business need. Are they hiring any new 2nd line techs? Are there others in your current position who are also ready to make that move? You need to consider these things, and also the turnover at your company and figure out what is best for you. With that said, it never hurts to look around. See what else is out there. But the next time something opens up you need to be all over it.

10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It sounds like you've made some good contacts at your current place. They already know your skills (technical and soft) and they seem to be willing to let you grow - which is great for getting experience. I'd try to work with your existing organization as best you can. Maybe offer to assist / volunteer with that team after-hours to gain experience.

Of course that doesn't mean don't apply to posts you believe you qualify for, just evaluate any offers to what you already have.

Good Luck...

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Where did my post go?

EDIT: Never mind... Alex had posted two CV posts on the same day; I responded to the other one. :oops:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. RonDon11

RonDon11 New Member

I agree with this guy and would like to add that sometimes you can get a pretty good idea of how people will treat you by watching how they treat others. Are there others in the same role as you that are ready for 2nd line too? Have any of them been at the company longer than you? It's important to be able to take a step back to try and figure out if they really intend on promoting you or if they are just blowing smoke.

13. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

Thank you all, great advice!

A little bit of an update, after speaking to our senior sys admin earlier this week, he recommended setting up a meeting with my manager to see how we can move forward with this.
    We had our meeting yesterday, I explained my situation and how I feel, He was very receptive and agreed in principle that something needed to be done.He said was aware of my skills and that he is keen to utilise them.He will speak to the dep manager/VP and give some feedback by the end of the week.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009