How to make use of the COA sticker on a pc?

Discussion in 'Software' started by albertc30, Feb 26, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.

I was wondering what do I need to do in order to have a legit OS installed on a machine.

Let's just say that I get my hands on a computer that has a COA sticker for windows xp home 32bit, I have got the serial number on it but no disk to install the program.

I know that I can use a copy "illegal" to install it and use this key, if accepted by this copy. If I do manage to install this copy successfully with this serial number, is this installation genuine?

In other words, How can one make use of this license "COA" without breaking the law?

Cheers in advance.
    A very nice weekend to all.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

If its a OEM COA..

Buy the recovery disk set or OEM disk from the OEM manufacture. However, first check that there isn't a program to build the recovery CDs on the PCs hard disk.

You can use the COA on the machine its stuck on, as the OEM licence is tied to that machine, you just need the OEM media.

What you cant do is take it and install it on a different PC.

I recently spoke to MS regarding this as we had a load of PC's donated to our charity

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As long as you have the media from the vendor (and it's the right one, not tied to another hardware product) you should be fine. Essentially they write some code to the cd that checks the bios of the computer, if the bios checks with whats on the CD the OS will install (and it should do so without prompting you for the key as well btw). You can use the same OS cd to install to other machines however because that machine will fail with the bios check you will be prompted for an install key.

Just speak to the vendor and get them to ship you a cd\dvd with the software, chances are it will cost you a couple of pounds tho. Alternatively search online as there are places that have the OEM cd's for download.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. albertc30

Let's say that I download an image of a DELL XP Home 32bit OS install that copy and it passes the installation without any problems.
    Do I have then a running legal installation?
    The reason for all this is that I might do some volutary work for the local bus depo (First). They have a small office with 8 pcs from DELL PIV HT and they do not know where are the cds that came with them.
    Do if I could do it this way, download a copy "illegal" from the net, as long as it is from dell and have it installed and passed the installation then I was wondering how legal would this be.

Cheers

P.S: There is no software to build me new installation or recovery disks as it seems the OS has been installed from scratch with no signs of being a OEM installation from DELL.

5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I have found that some organisations use a corporate build and then the coa is deactivated on the machine. This can be reactivated by calling microsoft. I think this is what happens.

I dont see any problem here if you got a full retail disc(however you acquire this) and use the keys and then search for the drivers. Are you reimaging them just to freshen them up?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  6. supernova

not a charity? as i have a big list of places to get cheap stuff from but only for charities

technically that still illegal as its the means in which you obtain the media is still illegal . Remember with volume licensing you still need to buy a media kit you cant just use a copy off a mate.

7. supernova

You often find that the product key used to install the OEM is different from the COA. Thats because there are VLK style OEM keys for system builders so they can image to 1000's of machines. When the user needs to reinstall they use the COA, Sometimes , not all, OEM setups ask for the COA on first boot.

I found this out at one company when all the NEC's had the same keys and none matched the stickers.

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

We have a VLK setup, but each machine has its own COA which definitely doesn't marry up!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. albertc30

That's the point mate. They don't want to spend £70.00 average for a full retail disc. Remember, I will be doing this small network for free. This is needed as the whole system is full of viruses and is a complete mess, so a clean install, since I am taking over, would be essential. I would like to have on these machines mcafee but still money is the object. This is FIRST bus company. They are not a registered charity. This office is also used by the local college to teach English and maths level 1 and 2, mainly to foreigners.
    Any good FREE antivirus anybody? I personally use for homes users, if they can't afford to buy, AVAST Home Edition.
    Cheers.

10. supernova

when i mean OEM style VLK i mean a multi install OEM key for system builders. Not a VLK as in eopen etc

ie if you by 20 NECS preinstalled they will all have the same OEM keys used to install, but different COAs

11. albertc30

Can I buy ONE full retail copy and install it on all of these computers using their own serial number and be legal?
    Sorry about all the asking mates but I must admit I know nothing about licences or volume licenses other then it is cheaper to get them in volumes.
    Last time I worked with volumes licences was back in 2000 on a windows 2000 server software that was acquired with 25 licences

12. supernova

can they get education discounts?

At the end of the its not your problem, i have many a time had to walk away.
    You can only advise them.

again its often illegal to use the home ones for commercial use, the only one i know is the MS essentials i believe you can you that for home business. sorry

13. supernova

Nope OEM Keys don't match or work with retail media and vice versa

just get a recovery CD from Dell, i dont see buying one been an issue.... anyone?

(are they all different models?)

14. albertc30

6 of them have exact specs and the other 3 are abit old.
    As for the Avast Home, that is what I use for end users mate.
    Anything free for comercial use?

15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No there is nothing free from an AV point of view for Business use, none of the free products allow legal use of the product in a Production environment, after all they need to make money some how, if they give it away for free across the board what's the benefit to them in doing so (everyone is out to make money).

As far as purchasing a single media kit and installing on each machine goes, the only way this normally works is if you have a Volume License agreement with MS, they allow you to purchase a single license to install on COA machines, however there are normally quite strict requirements to get into the VLK licensing scheme.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  16. supernova

Like i said Dells normally have a program on them to make the rescue CDs. All the ones i have set-up have
    These are normally on the harddisks in a format that would be highly unlikely to get infected by a virus. So if you can make them up and just in case scan them you should be okay. With any luck you can still do this.

Otherwise they dont really have any options ... all you can do is advise them.

Your not the only person to have been in the position, i have too