1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make sure I get rid of a virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by searchformeaning, Jun 3, 2012.

1. searchformeaning

searchformeaning Bit Poster

I have a problem with one of the client laptops. It has a bunch of viruses. I downloaded and installed MS security essentials and scanned the hard drive. It caught and deleted viruses but I still suspect that there are a virus on the laptop. I'd like to know what is the recommended procedure to follow when I suspect that a computer/laptop is infected without dismounting the hard disk from the laptop/PC and installing it in a clean one to do a full scan.
    Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP
  2. jk2447

jk2447 Petabyte Poster Moderator

I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure..... to quote my fav movie (OMG I need to get a life ha ha)

Why would you need to install AV? Surely you have a chosen AV product that is used across all of your windows based OS's (asking for trouble if you haven't)? If you feel your AV product isn't catching everything I would rebuild the workstation. This can save you having to mop up an outbreak if a worm or such like spreads.

Let us know how you get on, Cheers, Jim
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, VCP4, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VCP5, VCP6-NV
  3. searchformeaning

searchformeaning Bit Poster

It's not in a work environment. It's for personal usage but it has a lot of software installed on it. It's not mine either :D to know where get all those pieces of software installed and configured correctly. That's why I was asking. And yeah, a work environment without AV is a pain in the *** no doubt :tongue luckily, it's not the case
    Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP
  4. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I agree with jk2447, rebuild the laptop.

However if that is not practical, do a system restore to a period before the infection (you will have to re-install the AV). With another machine, download an offline virus scanner, eg Windows Defender Offline and do a full scan on the infected laptop (normally you will have to reboot the machine and boot off the CD/DVD).

Also, I would do an anti-malware/anti-spyware scan with Spybot and malwarebytes.
    Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
    jk2447 likes this.