Problem How to make a windows backup partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by Special Brew, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Hey Certforums!!

I was wondering, Actually hoping that someone could help me.

I wanna learn how to make a windows backup partition. Both, how to get the backup image or whatever needs to be done and how to make a partition, i did the partition in vista, vista has built in partion manager thing..
    Also, if it is an image, how to get the image on that partition.
    Never had to do this before but now i wanna earn money fixing peoples PC's then i need to know these things.

As we speak, i have norton ghost 15 dunno how to use the thing though lol.

I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance =]

Special Brew!

2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Do you mean cloning/copying a image of the hard drive or system partition?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. Special Brew

Well, basically i just had to replace my hdd as my old one completed died on me. So basically, i brought a hdd on ebay, installed it, installed windows etc.

But how do i make a windows back-up partition in case anything goes wrong that isn't a hdd fault, for example, a corrupt windows.. A simple back-up would set windows back to my healthy windows back-up partition.

Also, along side this, i'd like to make this on a partition, but not only windows on it, i want the back-up partition to have all my basics on there, like AVG and all the drivers etc.

I hope this makes sense to you.

thanks for your reply,

Special Brew!

4. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

There's lots of ways to solve this problem! I don't have ghost and so I can't comment on it. However there are many programs that allow you to do that. There's even the open source (ie. free) clonezilla which I have used. But foremost (although this might be obvious) get a second hard drive. DO NOT USE THE SAME HD FOR YOUR IMAGE DRIVE. If you do and the drive goes..... so goes your image! I suggest using the second drive for the image and then disconnecting it from your system (to avoid possible virus, etc. corruptions). Just put it on the shelf or at least keep it in the PC box with the cables off!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  5. jay_s_uk

jay_s_uk Bit Poster

try Comodo Time Machine.
    A very good piece of software for creating images.
    Or if you're using Windows 7, use the built in back up. It is surprisingly amazing!

Certifications: HNC Mechanical Engineer
    WIP: Computing Degree, 70-680
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Acronis tbh.

It's a great utility (much better than Ghost is now days). I use it myself for my laptop (it can clone the drive to a remote network location or USB drive).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Special Brew

Cheers For the replies guys, Appreicate it.

how can i save an image of my windows to file, then put the '' image '' on the partition???

Because, of course i'll use external hdd, but if i'm fixing people's computers, they want back-up partition.

So how do i do that =\?

No one seems to know, or know what i mean.

Thanks for reading, i hope someone knows.

Special Brew

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Are you talking about a hidden partition in the style of many of the big box manufacturers?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. jay_s_uk

jay_s_uk Bit Poster

You could always back up the machine using winpe to an external drive. Create a small partition. Copy the wim file to that partition then mark it inactive so the user cant see it. Then use winpe to restore if needed

Certifications: HNC Mechanical Engineer
    WIP: Computing Degree, 70-680
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

PE is a messy way of doing it, usually because it wants a Syspreped image rather than just an 'image', I would still stick with using Acronis (which can provide you a recovery partition) but obviously that will have a licensing cost associated with it.

I would advise that if you're doing this for 'clients' then you're probably breaking the licensing agreement for ghost unless you have purchased an enterprise agreement.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Special Brew

Yeah, like when you buy a brand new laptop, it comes with a windows back-up partition to restore windows if need be.

I'm not using ghost illegal, i've not actually used it at all, not even for myself.. I've been looking online for pc repair company prices. and saw they charge for doing a partition for windows back-up etc.

As anyone, when i see something new, i wanna learn to do it myself.

I hope i've cleared it up a little bit lol.

Just trying to learn a little more, considering no websites seem to give a decent amount of advice nor information.

Thanks again,

Special Brew!

12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Why not just mirror your system drive?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  13. Special Brew

All i want to do is set-up a partition with a windows back-up, just like you get with a new laptop.

Thanks for your reply,

Appreciate it.

Special Brew!

14. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

If you get the Windows 7 operating system there no need for third party software like Norton Ghost and Acronis as there is now a cool easy backup tool with Windows installed to clone and backup the system drive. :):)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

That is the question.

16. Special Brew

You're right, it only saves to CD/DVD or external HHD.

How can i send it to the partition i've created for windows back-up?

Thanks

Special Brew!!

17. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

No doubt there will be a few different ways to do this, I personally would use acronis as simon has mentioned. It can create a recovery partion on the same drive. But as also said, you need to watch the licensing if you intend to install it for customers.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  18. Special Brew

I will look into the Acronis idea, thank you.

As longs as i can do it for myself, i don't really care.

You mention licenses, but how do i work my way around this, meaning if i am asked, how can i do it for them ?

Thanks again,

Special Brew!

19. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I assume you would need to buy a copy per installation or there may be an alternative way to license. Best to e-mail/phone acronis to verify, you can download the trial and have a play about with Acronis True Image Home 2011 here

The feature your looking for is called Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  20. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

You don't 'work your way around it' as DC suggests you'll probably have to buy a license per install, there may be some sort of 'bulk purchase' option if you'll be doing it a lot.

Anything else and your very likely to be in violation of Acronis' license terms which opens you up to a whole world of hurt.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10