How to get host to get ip from a defined scope

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Casablanca, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

Hello,

my lab setup is this: 2 sites (site1 subnet 10.0.1.0/24 site 2 subnet 10.0.2.0/24) the 2 sites are connected to each other using RRAS. site 1 contains the only dhcp server (superscope with 2 scopes scope 1 is serving 10.0.1.1 to 50 and scope 2 is serving 10.0.2.1 to 50.

what I am trying to do is the get a host on site 2 to get it's ip config from the dhcp server on site 1 using the scope 10.0.2.* at the moment it's getting it's config from scope 10.0.1.*.

there is a dhcp relay agent on site 2 pointing to dhcp server on site 1.

All servers are 2000 advanced and the host is XP pro.

would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advanced.

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think, if I understand you correctly, that the problem you are having is due to the fact that you are using RRAS to connect the two sites. The RAS server itself will hand out DHCP leases from a pool (10 by default) obtained from the DHCP server, hence bypassing the relay agent.

It would work, If you had two statically configured NICs in the DHCP server one set up for the 10.0.1.x and the other for the 10.0.2.x networks and you used RRAS (routing) to route between the two subnets, DHCP would know which network required servicing from which scope.

Otherwise I think you need your subnets separated by routers for the relay agent to work as you would like :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)