How to get database experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tech291083, Feb 23, 2006.

1. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

hi all,

i m interested in developing into a database professional in future.i know a bit of ms access.in future i would like to see myself as a dba or database developer etc.i don't have any certificates at the moment.but in order to get into databses i am thinking of working in an oraganisation/charity/school which uses databases like oracle/ms sql etc., as a volunteer for free.can i do this? can any body on this forum guide me as who to contact to get such a volunteer role and i would be happy if some of the experienced guys on the very forum who have successfully broken into databases, can tell me how they get started.i would not mind any useful piece of advice as well.cheers.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I do database stuff as part of being a developer so it was sort of a natural progression.

If you want to get hands on at home you should look at MySQL and PostgreSQL, both of which are free and available for Windows.

Postgres in particular is a 'serious' RDBMS.

I believe you can also get a 'Personal Edition' of Oracle for either very little or free.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

hi harry,

thanks for the reply.i have downloaded oracle personal edi and my sql but i do not understand any thing about the postgre thing.as which one to download.i would appreciate some help in this regard.cheers.

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm looking into getting to grips with Microsofts SQL as it's cropping up a lot for jobs I'm going for. I just need to be able to maintain SQL but you can download a eval version off Microsoft's website if thats the area your into. Also for MYSQL and PHP there is a great install package that installs all needed software and it's free. It's called WAMP. Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You can get PostgreSQL here . Pick 8.1 binary then win32.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+