How to get a software testing position?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tech291083, Mar 7, 2006.

1. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

hi all,

A friend of mine is looking for the position of a software tester in scotland.he has tried to search online a lot, but with no luck so far.he is still in the 1st yr of uni.could any one on this forum guide him as what is the right approach to finding such positions? thanks a lot.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

We seem to have gone round this before. Perhaps you might want to review your previous posts?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I can't believe that ANYONE would want to be a software tester. That's why you never see jobs advertised, they ususally pressgang people off the streets at nightime. Then they tie then into a chair and make them input phone numbers into the postcode box to see what happens.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

dunno where abouts in scotland you're friend is, but rockstar north would be a good bet to start looking - the testing jobs are afternnons and evenings and fairly well paid for testing computer games (they're the guys behind GTA and the like) and i know the have offices in edinburgh and somewhere else (maybe dundee). IIRC from the last time round they advertised, no experience was needed but just had to show you knew a bit about games and do a write up on your fave game - probably the best way into testing there is... just sitting round playing unreleased computer games in the evenings - all thats missing is the beer!!!!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Why is it when people talk about 'software testing' they actually mean 'playing free games'?
    Come on guys, grow up.
    Want to help me test my new XML web service for comparing motor insurance quotes?
    Go on, it'll be fun!
    Honest...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD