how to get a salary increase

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, May 12, 2013.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hello guys

Im 21 years old and I get £30400 a year.

Im a mcitp ea and being in the IT game for 3 and half years.

I work as a technical consultant and mainly do office365 implementation as well as acess and identity implementation and management. Also server and desktop support for clients ontop of that I assist and look after our internal infrastructure and I being here 6 months and on average I work 45 hours which includes travel. How can I get an increase what should I do.

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Getting an increase in house can be difficult, you really have to negotiate and it can take time. Also it can sometimes be dangerous as you don't want to give your employer an impression that you're only interested in money. You've only been at your current position for 6 months and unless in your contract you've agreed to negotiate at 6 month mark, then I'd say its too early to ask for a raise. Doing overtime and putting in the extra hours is part of working in IT. On average I put in at least 10 hours overtime every week, this is not including any issues that might rise.

With 3 years experience, I'd say you're making really good money, especially at the age of 21. My recommendation would be to stick at what you're doing for at least another 2 years, you will then can easily get more money.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sorry, you're 21 and already earning £30k?

You also mention that you work 45 hours which includes travel, what travel is that? Commute? Travel to customer sites?

I have to be honest and say that at 21 if I was earning 20K I was happy, earning 30k at your age is amazing. I usually go by the rule of thumb that you want to be earning about equal to your age, so at 21 you would be earning 21k, at 30 you would be earning 30k, the reason I go for that is that if you're earning 30k at 21, what do you expect to be earning at 30? 40? 50?

I would suggest that moving on would be a bad idea (your age may well go against you for looking for more money, so you have an MCITP:EA and been in IT for 3 years they will say, why should you be earning more than you're on now??).

Like Prof mentions, I would stick with your current role for a couple more years, get some experience and age behind you and then look to move on (there is such a thing as falling before you have fully learnt to walk).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    jk2447 likes this.
  4. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

$46,676 at 21 and only 45 hours a week

That's really fricking good

Congrats and thank your lucky stars especially in this day and age.

I'd say you have a really good employer

Stick with it, I'd be shocked if you find better with your experience and cert

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  5. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the input guys,

Before I came into this company I was getting £24000 (which includes doing a little over time) I was an internal junior engineer that looked after the internal network and I was 19 at the time when I got hired. I swapped company and it's not easy like I work 45 hours that includes travel to client sites like sometimes i go out of town and yeah its including that and most of the time its just alot of work. I am in an intermediate role I guess I should stay there another year or so and once I become senior level I can ask for an increase if not go elsewhere. Because the experience that I am getting is priceless with cloud integration with ADFS and FIM 2010 basically identity and access management also I do some system engineer/admin stuff as well as a little networking and some desktop support so I am getting good experience and learning alot but its not easy.

6. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Understandable,

It does sound like your plate is full but as you said, the experience is priceless.

Waiting for the Senior position and then asking for a raise if it is not given to you automatically sounds like a good plan.

Keep gaining experience and grow your reporte, it'll be worth it. ;)

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The other members have offered some good advice.

Stick it out for a couple of years and then see what your options are – there is no reason why you can’t make a big jump in salary next time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

From my experience and current situation let me tell you that your Salary for your age is bloody good going!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  9. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

£30k for a 21 year old. That's amazing. Well done.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  10. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

You seem to do nothing but moan about this job that you are in, if you're not upset with your manager not being as technical as you, then your upset about the number of hours, and if that's not upsetting you now you seem unhappy with your pay scale!

If the jobs really that bad just leave already! Stop moaning! A few months ago you said that work had died right off and not much was happening, yet now you say you do extra hours all the time and aren't paid enough!

You seem somewhat detached from reality IMO! You are on good money, in fact very good money for a 21 year old, I suggest you get your head down, work hard and I'm sure you will progress, but from what I have seen of you on here you seem like you would be a troublesome employee rocking the boat and no matter how good your technical skills, if your not a team player then you will not advance as quickly unless you constantly jump jobs, but then employers start to get suspicious about you if you do it for long periods!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    SimonD likes this.
  11. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

No offense but...

You would like to earn more but complain about how hard the role is... Actually in most cases more money equals more stress/responsibilities, I really don't get what you are asking about. How to negotiate the salary at your next (agreed?) review? How to get a better paid job (most importantly easier as well)? Would you swap it for better paid one but a dead-end one? You seem to appreciate what's important and then ask questions like that...

12. Chief

Chief Bit Poster

Check the wanted ads. Find jobs that pay what you'd like to be earning. Look at the requirements for those positions. Train up or otherwise work to meet those requirements. Win! :)

Certifications: MCSE (2003), MSTS Vista, S+, N+, A+, CCA (Metaframe), MCSE (NT4)
    WIP: MCSA (2008/2012), CCA (XenApp 6.5, XenServer 6), CCNA (Not sure, but probably +Security)
    danielno8 likes this.
  13. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As said depending on location that's not a bad salary for 3 years in at 21.

Same as above though really, look at jobs you want to be doing and get yourself the requirements they ask for.

Also depends how much of an increase you want, big jumps tend to only happen with either promotion or by moving to a new company.

What sort of company are you currently working for, size etc?

*edit* Just read a previous post of yours that says it's a managed services provider with 25 staff.

Ok I guess if I were in your shoes I'd be thinking of 2 possible scenarios:

First is stay with the company, it's small now and if you can help it grow and be part of that expansion in the long term you could come out very well from it. Downsides are nothing's guaranteed and could take longer than you are willing to wait. However I do have friends in some companies which started off small and now have rather nice turnovers and are rewarded for being there from the humble beginnings.

Second is to move to a big tech consultancy, potentially large salaries but also many potential down sides.

Again that's just what I'd probably do, with the second scenario then you can obviously build up to that with other roles along the way but have that in mind as your end game.

Or just go contracting :p

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  14. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Guys I like the job but the company is horrible everyone works more than 8 hours and on fridays they work till 8 pm. I on average do some work in the weekend mostly remotely for under a hour once every 6 weeks. I like my old job so relaxed and I hardly do my 40 hours

15. Chief

Chief Bit Poster

The other job where you were paid $10k less? It may be that you've moved up and that your higher position and improved pay is reflected in the increased responsibility. You can't seriously be expecting more pay *and* less responsibility!! lol

Certifications: MCSE (2003), MSTS Vista, S+, N+, A+, CCA (Metaframe), MCSE (NT4)
    WIP: MCSA (2008/2012), CCA (XenApp 6.5, XenServer 6), CCNA (Not sure, but probably +Security)
    Arroryn likes this.
  16. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Most people in IT work more than 8 hours and regularly do other hours remotely from home etc. you need to either accept that and get on with it, or IT is not for you, so you can change career altogether!

To be honest though, any job paying 30+k will involve you doing extra hours and working hard, that's just part of the territory!

You just need to stop moaning about everyone and everything else and get on with it! You seem to want absolutely everything on your terms and when you want it, life doesn't work that way though unfortunately! You should be grateful for what you have, it's more than most!!!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You're seriously concerned with working more than 8 hours a day and an hour every weekend once every 6 weeks?

I spend between 5 and 6 hours a day commuting to work, that's 25 - 30hours a week just on travelling to and from my office, that doesn't include any actual work that I do, my contract says 40 hours a week but I can tell you that I do more than 40 hours a week. I would also add that I have a wife and two children at home (a 6 year old and a 5 month old baby) who rarely get to see me during the week so the weekends are packed full.

I don't complain about the commute or the work because I am paid a decent wage and am expected that as I signed the contract I was happy with the working arrangements yet all I hear from you is whining and whinging about how bad you have it. I start to wonder if IT is the right career for you because if you're complaining about things now, imagine what it will be like when you're older and have more seniority and responsibilities!!! With higher salaries come greater expectations from the employer.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  18. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

8 hours a day, what a dream.

I work an average of 10 hours a day, sometimes 14 and I have worked 3 days straight, couple of power naps on the clients office couch!
    I regularly work 7 days a week though its usually 6 and I travel an average 100 miles a day.

While I get paid well, (I own my own business), I signed up for it so to speak, so I cant complain but you? 45,000 a years for 8 hours average a day is nothing to complain about, Thats dang good money especially at 21