1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to get a hands on cisco job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rockstar6181, Jul 13, 2006.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

I will soon have completed my CCNA certification. I have spent last 5 years working on a support desk supporting home users as well as doing 2nd level, remote admin for workers in the call centre. I have decided that I enjoy the Cisco content much more than the Microsoft admin side of things. I have no experience what so ever with Cisco products, everything I have learnt is form a book. I am thinking of seeing if I can work for free 1 day a week with a local company. If I did this would it count as experience for future jobs I apply for? Anyone else know any entry type jobs within Cisco realm that allow hands on?

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

If you put CCNA on your resume (once you get it) and you get a call for an interview, They're pretty much going to want you to know how to set up and configure a router from scratch.

The absolute minimum hardware you should have for a home lab setup is 2 Cisco 1720 routers with as much memory as they will hold so you can run the latest firmwares (then again if you can get a deal on a couple of 2400's or 2600's that will work too).

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

I have used some Sims and ran through setup and configured the router that way, I have seen some good deals on eBay for some labs, one I have my eye on at the moment is a package of 3 routers, 2 switches and all cables etc, I think il go for this one as I plan on doing CCNP later this year.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Two major problems using sims.

(1) Not all of the commands will work.

(2) A sim won't show you what happens when you disconnect an ethernet cable.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+