How to develop your career -get experience not just certs!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Big_nath, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

I recently applied for a job (that i really wanted), I made it to interview stage, i had an hour long technical interview and then an hour long HR interview. The HR interview went well and the technical interview also went well to start. Anyway long story short, i didn't get the job. But, i did get some really useful feedback for the technical interviewer.

Basically It was my hardware knowledge that let me down. He said my server knowledge was spot on and i answered all the OS related questions well. But, when he started asking me about how to configure routers, data coms etc, i was weaker. I did know that these were my weak areas as my current position is mainly server and workstations. But, i though i had enough knowledge to get my foot in the door.

The technical manager gave me some valuable advice however, he told me to try and decide on the direction i want to head. Do i want to stay on the line of server administration or do i want to head towards networking? I kind of always thought i wanted to do both. He did advise me if i wanted to go towards networking, the CCNA would be a good starting point ( which i already knew). He also pointed out (as most on here also advise), don't go for the CCNA without gaining experience at the same time. I was actually going to already try to get more networking experience and then start the CCNA certification, but it is good to know that there are some employers that still value experience.

Anyway the point is i wanted to try and re-enforce what so many of you guy tell newbies.

Gain experience not just certs!!!

I have also realised that i really need to strenghten my networking hardware knowledge. I want to eventually become a network architect, so i guess i need a strong knowledge of both. The problem i am begining to find now is gaining the networking hardware knowledge. But i'm sure the ideal job will come along soon (maybe longer that i would like, due to the current financial situation the country is in).

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Good post that big nath. If I were you then I'd start my CCNA obviously but buy yourself the kit for a CCNA/CCNP lab off eBay. Its hardly industry experience but its a good start IMO.
    Best of luck mate. You are lucky in a small way that the company cared enough to offer such detailed feedback, I know our place wouldn't. Cheers, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I have been looking on ebay, for some cheapish kit. I really want some real life work experience with cisco kit. even if i have to help out for free somewhere on the weekend or something.

The company were awesome and said to me get some experience with cisco kit and come back in 6-12 months. They said they really liked me, but unfortunately they wanted a little more hands on knowledge with networking hardware. At least i have now been made to think about my weaknesses a little more closely.

4. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thats it mate, its a purely positive thing for your career. Voluteering is a great way to get smoe hands on. Try your local college or a smallish place that does EDCL's, that kind of place.

You'll get in there mate. Sky's the limit when you work for a decent ethical firm

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think that's just over complimentary as if they really did like you they would have offered you the role and then send you on an intensive training. Just my opinion:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Perhaps, but they also said they were a very busy organisation and didn't have the resources to invest in lots of training from the start. But I'll never know, either way the feedback i received was very useful to me.

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I hope I didn't come across as too harsh as I too in the pass have had similar complimentaries but without the job offer. I think employers obviously want a finished product as they're into making money and want someone with hands on experience and preferably a jack of all trades.

Best wishes:) and take the fresh and spit out the bones:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

IMHO you can't know if they were just being nice or being honest so I like to assume the latter to not knock my confidence. You did well mate, it was probably just unfortunate that your career twin also applied only he was also a CCNP. Try again in 12 months mate. Hopefully they will be impressed you've taken their feedback onboard and gained your CCNA. Cheers, Jim

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great testimony and advice - repped!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!