How to avoid the WPA attack entirely

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

How to avoid the WPA attack entirely

The latest crack in wireless Internet security, specifically, the Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) security standard, can threaten the safety of enterprise networks and business-sensitive information or data. Last week we explained how to cope with WPA cracks. Today we explain how to avoid them altogether, and what the difference is between WEP, WPA and WPA2.

It's been seven years since 802.11's Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) was cracked. WEP's first replacement, Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), has been required of all new Wi-Fi certified products since late 2003. But last month, reports surfaced about a crack in WPA -- specifically, a new attack against the Message Integrity Check (MIC) used by the Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP). While this new attack is not a death-knell for wireless local area networks (WLANs) using WPA, it is a note-worthy chip in their armor that you can avoid.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments