How To Apply For Jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Sep 20, 2016.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi folks,

I recently handed in my notice at work at a company that was not suited to me, with no job to go to. I finish Friday then am on holiday for a week, and the aim was to have 2 more weeks off to relax before I want to start anywhere else (I will try to interview in this period though).

I have applied for several jobs today and been bouncing emails back and forth with recruiters, things are looking promising. Anyway, I know tomorrow and in future interviews the topic is going to come up why I left my previous job. I am thinking rather than being brutally honest and saying I did not like my job so I handed in my notice with no job to go to. Should I say that I have an offer to start at another job in 2 weeks, but it has the same package as my previous job (salary, benefits, etc), so this is why I am interviewing elsewhere. Will this look bad? I am thinking then at least I have not quit without a job in their eyes and I have some bargaining power with regards to salary expectations, rather than them low balling me.

Or shall I be totally honest?I am just worried about finding another job, although with my experience I will probably get invited to interview, it's just putting my reason for leaving across in the right fashion. Sorry for waffling, I hope that makes sense.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Tell them it was a contract and you completed the work and didn't fancy renewing.

3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Wouldn't they check on that sort of thing with my previous company though when asking for a reference ?

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Not in my experience, but then I am a contractor. References are generally joe bob worked here as Tech Blah between start and end date.

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm no expert but I always think, try to leave your emotions out of it. If you feel like you're going to lose it, go outside for ten minutes. People will lose respect for you if you cant keep it together under pressure. I'd imagine you hated your last place which is why you left. This is allowed. Were only human. It might of been the whole place, a few people or just one person why you left. It's all good just don't ever let your emotions get the better of you.
    With regard to the next job, its hard because if you say you left because you hated it, what is your threshold for this, might you leave them in three months for the same reason. The seed of doubt is sewn and you're unlikely to get the job as it means recruiting all over again. I would not say why unless asked. That's the first thing to remember. Personally I would go with something like, I felt I had achieved all I could there and there was no opportunity to progress so I decided to hand in my notice and go contracting to gain experience and variety, until I saw your permemant job, which offered both of these things.....

I know.... Im good aren't I. And modest ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    garycul and exonje like this.