How to apply for agency vacancies

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Aug 5, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Most vacancies are from agencies and it got me thinking about how they operate, specifically how much knowledge the consultant has.

If they have a job requirement that says for example:
    Essential: TCP/IP. Routers, Switches, Bridges

And you don't mention this but say you studied CCNA, would they just reject you or would they know that CCNA would involve all of this thoroughly?

Can anyone be a consultant for any industry? and therefore all they do is match job requirements to what you write, so if you don't specifically say that you have experience of TCP/IP/ROuters, switches,bridges they just reject you?

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I personally think a lot of employers recognise the fact that a recruitment professional may not realise Router, switch experience, etc etc would be covered by a CCNA for instance, resulting in more and more employers doing their homework and simply passing onto the recruitment agency a CCNA, MCSE, Prince2 etc. After all, if an employer is looking for someone suitably qualified for a position, its very likely they knew the qualifications of the predecessor who's position is now vacant. Just my opinion. Jim

** Edit: In addition to my comments above its worth noting that there are more and more IT certified IT recruitment staff as for a time I considered going into recruitment.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

When applying for any position the golden rule is to tick all the boxes in the same format as they are presented to you.

If a vacancy says 'must have experience of switches, routers and bridges' in your application letter (and on your CV) you should say 'I have extensive experience with switches, routers and bridges'.

By all means say that you have a CCNA too, but as you say, the person reading your CV may not be aware of the exact curriculum for the CCNA - and besides which you could be a braindumper like some we could mention, and could be a CCNA who has never touched any of the above.

Keep it simple. If you are applying for a position with a lot of applicants, the person sifting through them in the first instance is looking for reasons to put it in the bin, not reasons to keep it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I should point out - before somebody does it for me - is that recruitment agencies are slightly different.
    They want as many bodies on their books as they can because it makes them feel big and strong, and increases their chances of placing some of them.

But you can't expect them to re-interpret your CV for you and get it right, so my advice holds (well, in my opinion it does... :biggrin)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD