How to answer following competency based interview questions?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by momer79, May 1, 2011.

1. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

How would you answer the following questions?

1- How to deal with difficult member of team?

2- If you are working on some project and you have realized that you can't complete the project on time then what would you do?

3- Tell me about the time when you had to deal with the conflict, with your manager or a colleague? Or how do you deal with conflicts at work?

4- What are your weaknesses?

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi, just wondering why do you need the answers to these do you mind me asking?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ask for a fight after work.

Call in sick.

See answer 1

None.

Do I get the job? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    dmarsh, LukeP and jk2447 like this.
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Tricky one to help out with.
    On the whole, competency based questions are designed to build up a picture of you, there is no real right or wrong answers.
    They may also be cross-referenced so any blatant lies will stand out.

Generally though:

1. Show that you have dealt with a difficult team member. If you haven't, you may be a pushover or inclined to let things pass. Show that you've dealt with them professionally and fairly with no hard feelings.

2. The first thing would be to highlight the problem, rather than try to cover it up. Speak to the project manager or your boss and explain the situation. Agree new time scales or objectives, or re-allocate resources. These things happen, but best if it wasn't because of your original flawed expectations or your lack of driving the project along too slowly.

3. Again, as in point 1, no point in pretending that they don't exist. Just deal with them professionally. It's usually best not to mention the time you had a bust up with your line manager as it may make you seem insubordinate.

4. Important to acknowledge that you have some, but also make the point that you are aware of them and that you are/have taken steps to resolve them. Don't go for cliches like 'I'm a perfectionist' and don't go for real losers like 'I find it hard to get in to work on time'. Go for something neutral like 'sometimes my paperwork is a bit sloppy, so I make sure I get it proof-read by a colleague.

You'll need to think of real examples that you can cite, in case they ask follow up questions. Don't just make up 'ideal' generic answers.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

thanks for your reply Johnny, thats what i was looking for.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  6. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Why are you asking us to prepare the answers that you're going to give at your interview?

If you can't be bothered to prepare the answers to a couple of simple questions, I would politely suggest that you're not cut-out for a career in IT... a profession in which you'll get no-where unless you're prepared to work hard and constantly develop your skills.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Thats not true I have meant plenty of lazy people in IT.

Certifications: A few.
  8. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Follow the STAR approach. If you can't come up with your own situations your a bit silly really.

If your competing with me Ill win.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Maybe not.
    That's 'you're' and 'I'll'.

Attention in the detail. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
    dmarsh, LukeP and danielno8 like this.
  10. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sparky your reply nearly made me swill my laptop with coffee! ha ha Good answers Jonny

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dunno what I was drinking when I posted that! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Is it my job to deal with difficult members of a team? I expect them to be dealt with so I can deliver what I'm paid to deliver. If not, I'd leave.

I'd quit!

I left.

I'm a quitter!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure