How to add a second disk to Linux

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by michael78, Jun 12, 2007.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm trying to format and use a 2nd disk on my Ubuntu PC so that I can create and use VMware images on it. I've formatted it as a ext3 disk and have right clicked on the disk and mounted it. I thought that would be all I needed to do but it's read only and won't allow my to change it to read/write or create any VMWare images on it. Any idea of where I'm going wrong???

It says the mount point is /media/disk
    file system is ext3

Cheers

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm not expert on Ubuntu, but in the Unix/Linux world the file /etc/fstab is how these things are controlled.

What sort of disk is it? Hard drives usualy mount on /mnt, /media is usualy reserved for CDs and the like.

And the option will be rw - it sounds as if it was mounted with ro.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. michael78

Harry, it's a Sata drive. I formatted it using gnome partition manger using ext3 as the file type and I can see the drive after a reboot but can't write anything to it. I mounted it by right clicking on the drive and choosing the mount option.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

So what does /etc/fstab show for the drive?

There seems to be some problems with some motherboards with SATA and some versions of Linux (just like Windows really!).

Which version of Ubuntu?

Have you set the BIOS to make the SATA appear to be IDE?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. michael78

Sorry Harry, I missed your reply. I gave up in the end and reinstalled Windows 2003 and installed VMWare on that and built up a Ubuntu image on the spare Hard Drive. Thats what I was trying to do in the first place and wanted to store the images on my Spare Drive.