How to access user profile on a parallel windows installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by zr79, Feb 12, 2010.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

XP home.

Somebody reinstalled windows side-by-side with their current version. They now have have windows and windows.0 both on the same partition and both installation have their own user profiles as you would expect.
    The windows.0 have profiles name administrator.0, userX.0 ... etc.

There are also 2 options at the boot screen, both options are "windows xp home", one logs you into the first installation of windows, "windows" and the other "windows.0".

Now the first installation "windows" has become corrupt and it restarts at the windows logo when i try and log onto it, so hence i can only log onto the windows.0 and hence i can't log onto the user profile in the "windows" installation.

Can i somehow access the profile created in "windows" from "windows.0". I see there is a registry key, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Can i alter this to allow me to log onto the profile i created in the first windows installation, .i.e from windows.0?

Certifications: A+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I assume that the boot options dialog still shows?

Safe mode is going to be your friend here. Try and boot to the 'corrupted' Windows installation in safe mode and obtain the data you want (I assume this is what you need as you haven't stated).

After you have what you need, then reformat the PC. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Safe mode restart as well. LOL @ reformat.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What exactly do you need from the profile?

Oh and where do we start sending the invoices to because it really is starting to look like you're running a repair business and getting us to assist.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You should write a script to do it - since you were going to build an anti-virus scanner last week that shouldn't present too much of a problem for you.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Unfair guys.

I have helped a lot of people on forums including these forums, whether it be for work or not, i will also continue to help people out it also helps me to improve and why not if i know the answer. So really helping me with a small percentage of issues i deal with - i don't think it is that much too ask?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think Zeb's hidden message is that when we attempted to help you last time, you thought you already knew what to do. Not only did you actively resist the help, you became a little antagonistic. One might say it was unfair to ask for help and then refuse to listen to the advice given by people who know what they're talking about.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I don't think that people on here are unwilling to help - quite the opposite. I have seen people on this forum bend over backwards to help complete strangers with problems or to understand concepts they were stuck with.

I think the problem arises here when you pose an issue, you are given a quick, simple and effective way to deal with the issue (i.e. go in with Safe Mode, grab whatever you need, format the drive and reinstall the OS) and you "LOL" at it.

Regardless of whether you are doing this for a business or not, when you go to someone for help, are given help, reject the help and insist on overcomplicating things as the only solution people are not going to want to offer their advice again. Just my 2p.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc