How respected are the CompTIA certs?

Discussion in 'A+' started by ITMatt, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ITMatt

ITMatt Bit Poster

Hey everyone,

I was reading some of the past questions on this board, and one of them got me thinking: how respected are the CompTIA certs in the IT industry, especially if you're already employed as a techy?

After asking my colleagues and manager at work, at first they didn't have a clue what they were and when I explained (using the CompTIA) website, they snuffed their noses and exclaimed what's the point when you have MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, etc.

I can understand their point of view, as when I began studying for my CompTIA A+, I laughed. It was all common sense to anyone with the remotest idea of what's in a machine, not to mention, it was also very outdated i.e. 80486 and Pentium processors, etc.

Are they even worth considering, provided that many of the more serious certs start of easy and build up anyway?

Just something to discuss.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, N+
    WIP: MCP
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Matt, the A+ cert is a good cert to have for someone new to computer hardware and software support. On the other hand the A+ cert is not very well known in the UK hence the response from your managers and colleagues.

The A+ cert is endorsed by quite a lot of big name companies i.e. Microsoft, HP and the list goes on. To be honest I really don't know why it's still not widely heard off or even endorsed by quite a lot of IT managers and HR personnels in the UK.

I think the bottom line why its not well known by the UK IT sector might be that it's not being marketed aggressively like the likes of the MCP, CCNA etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree

When I started studying for the A+, I happened to mention to the IT director at work and he had never heard of it, he said I would best of getting MCDST at first.

Although I am glad I started studying for the A+ as it has reaffirmed what I knew and also taught what I had forgotten since finishing uni.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

As the others have already said......

.... in addition, I've posted a couple of times (being lazy so haven't got the posts at hand!) in the past saying that I've solved problems at work where 5 people, with about 30-40 years IT experience between them (if not more), and more than a dozen MCPs, couldn't solve in a couple of hours - a fair few occassions now...

I'm glad I have the A+, not so I can write it on my CV (but I do anyway) but because it has taught me so much more than I already knew - and by the looks of it, more than my colleagues knew!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Derkit, bear in mind the initial thread was started asking why the A+ is not well known in the UK amongst HR and IT personnels. I for one value the A+ and would recommend it anytime to anyone seriously looking to break into IT support regardless of their IT background or experience.

IT really is not getting the merit it deserves in the UK as a whole. I mean the A+:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think they are useful (A+ and Network+) when combined with a MS cert; either an OS based MCP or the MCDST.

For anyone who says it is too easy then why not do the exam and that’s another cert for the CV, surely that can only be a good thing.... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I did my MCSE without doing the A+ and Net+ first, it was a mistake IMHO. There were many holes in my knowledge which would not have been there had i got a solid basic foundation course under my belt first.

The Net+ would have been particulaly useful as Microsoft tend to be very cagey about mentioning any other product or way of doing things other than the Microsoft way. Which is 'not' how it is, in the real world.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And if for no other reason, THIS is why you get it. :thumbleft Rep added.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

You asked how repected the A+ is and I would have to say not very much, does it teach you alot and give you knowledge you may not other wise have yes! but will it help you get a job not much I feel as most managers and HR do not know what it is so how can it help but I feel it's better to have then not!

Certifications: A few.
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If I were an IT Manager, I would make sure that I know everything about the CompTIA certs, they have been around for a few years now.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. BosonMichael

More than just a "few years"... they've been around for *14* years: link

If an IT manager hasn't heard of CompTIA certifications by now... then they really don't deserve to be in the position of IT manager.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Rob1234

Unfortunately they might not deserve to be a IT manager but they are and they are a lot out there that have not heard of it and at the end of the day they get to choose who gets the job which makes Comptia certs a lot less respected and less valuable then Microsoft certs.

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately, Mike as much as I agree a 100% with your statement but over here in the UK a lot of IT managers and HR personnels have not heard of the A+ but more of the MCP, CCNA etc. I really do think it is sad and is not getting the merits it deserves.

14. BosonMichael

What I'm saying is this: do you *really* want to work at a place run by a clueless IT manager? 8)

Thus... if your CV ends up on the desk of someone who *really* doesn't understand what's what, asking for an MCSE to perform an entry-level job, and he/she trashes your CV because you only have the A+, then you've just dodged a bullet, and lost very little in the way of "quality opportunities".

15. Rob1234

Well if you hold out for a IT manager that knows what Comptia is you will be waiting a long time and it's hard enough to get a foot in the door with most companies besides just because they do not know about Comptia you could still gain valauble experience from them which is the most imporant thing anyway. Also the fact they have not heard of Comptia does not make them clueless!

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

True it doesn't make them clueless, just makes them look a little short sighted at not seeing the bigger picture.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

If an IT Manager hasnt heard of the CompTIA certifcations, then there is a problem there. I have to agree with Michael on that.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  18. BosonMichael

That's simply not true, mate... there are plenty out there who know what the A+ is. :rolleyes:

The fact that the have not heard of CompTIA, even though they have had IT certifications for 14 years and over a million certified individuals DOES show that they are clueless, and should pay more attention to their industry.

19. Rob1234

I know lots of IT managers know what A+ is but there is also a lot that does not.:rolleyes:

The fact that the have not heard of CompTIA, even though they have had IT certifications for 14 years and over a million certified individuals shows to me that they probably do not need Comptia certs for there IT department to run sucesfully.

I have the A+ and feel it is a very good cert and it taught me alot but did it help me get my job I do not think so but I'm still glad I have it.

20. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

You dont really need *any* certs for an IT department to run sucessfully. The certs themselves are just paper proving what you know. I have met numerous individuals who amase me with the amount of knowledge they have, and yet, no certifications at all.

The A+ isnt going to guarantee you a job, and it may not help you get a job. But then again, it might. If it was you against another guy, and the company wasn't sure which one of you to hire, A+ *could* tip it your way.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012