How old is everyone here? Also what certs? eduation? work experience in IT they have?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by coolc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

Just a curious topic

How old is everyone here? Also what certs? education? work experience in IT they have?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Most people have filled out their members profile which has all that information in it although I could do with changing mine since I don't do that job anymore. click on a members name to see more about them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You not going to provide that information about yourself?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

See above.

Some.

Lots.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

As they said - many members already display that information on their profiles. Them what don't, obviously choose not to...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Right on. If the info is there, the member is ok with displaying it. Otherwise, chances are pretty slim they want the 'otherwise' anonymous web to know it. And if there's not enough space to display the certs in the profile, the full list may also be displayed in their signature.

Some members have mentioned their 'career moves' on this forum before. I believe I have, but if not, I can give a quick lowdown:

97-99: Mom & Pop style computer repair shop work
    99-03: Client installs, terminal serves administration, software packaging
    04-07: System Admin (AD, Exchange and many other Microsoft products)
    08-10: Security Admin (50/50 Microsoft and non-Microsoft products in a financial org)
    10-11: Consultant at Microsoft (providing services in AD, UC and SIAM, aka Unified Communication like Exchange and OCS/Lync, as well as Security, Identity and Access Management)

I earned my first industry certs in 03, and since then I've tried to do around 6 of them a year (a very average number since it's all really "time permitting" after all).

I have been very lucky in my professional life as I was often in the right place, at the right time, when it came time to change jobs. I'm often consulted regarding my profile on monster.com, so take heed those with several years of industry experience.

But I also work very hard in my professional life in order to ask the same question every day; "did I provide the company the quantity and value of work they expected, and paid for me to do today". It paid off for me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See profile and "My Community Profile & Certification list" in my sig (however I have to update that).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

okay im 29

9. westernkings

Experience and Certifications?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. greenbrucelee

If you were wanting know about people surely you would have put info about yourself not just I am 29 but like my name is this, i am this old, i do this for a living my certs and experience are. Or you could just filling your profile like most other people have done and read the other peoples profiles to find out about them and if they want to find out about you they can ready yours. Simples:D

11. zet

zet Byte Poster

BSc, MSc, A+
    experience: none, awaiting security clearance before starting new job

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  12. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

24, bugger all certs ( Several certs in progress! :mrgreen: ) - but 5 years experience, i've been fairly lucky within IT getting to where i am. I'm just doing my certs to backup my experience now

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  13. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

22 years old
    No certs, got a degree in Computer Games Technology (roflcopter)
    Been an IT Technician for about 3 years

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  14. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

24 / A+, N+, Sec+, 270, 290 / Just over 4 years experience in a solid IT job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  15. tklnrg

tklnrg New Member

Just turned 23

None, studying for 70-640 microsoft exam

bachelors degree (math and physics)

5 months total. I've literally been thrown to the wolves, haha. Right now I'm basically doing active directory stuff all day.

WIP: MCTS 70-640
  16. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

how were u able to get a job like that without any prior experience and without previous knowledge or certs? luck I guess? You said in your previous post that you do 1st line support remmeber 1st line support anyone can do doesnt take much skills its not really a junior system admin role

17. zet

zet Byte Poster

If you've got a degree in a math based or science based subject alot of doors open up. It's because those are difficult subject matters to graduate from and it shows a certain level of intelligence. For example, if you're good at math the chances are you'll make a good programmer and companies pick up on this. My cousin graduated with a 1st in math and she was working for microsoft on a helpdesk/1st line type of role. Admittedly she got bored and went over to teaching math instead.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  18. westernkings

What do you mean it doesn't take much skill? not everyone has the logical isolation skills needed to troubleshoot things all day.

19. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Agreed, people seem to think 1st line is for monkeys when the reality is it should be considered the breeding ground of competent IT professionals.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  20. greenbrucelee

Yep whatever anyone says there is actually a lot to 1st line aswell as firstline orientated certifications such as the MCDST. Not many people will realise the some MCDST or 1st line support people will actually do things like configuring ICS and dolling out permissions.

I actually know some firstline people that do a lot of networking suchas configuring routers and IPs and they are not expected to escalate issue regarding problems like no default gateways or missing dns servers.