How old, how long in IT...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Stupendous Man, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, I don't feel old at all. I'm just old-er than most of the others here. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. b00g13

b00g13 New Member

Im 25, started working with computers 7 years ago, done a lot of helpdesk jobs, some minor network administration (well, actually i was only keeping the cables clean and looking over the others shoulders). Worked setting up workstations for various companies; cleaning them from pr0n diallers later was quite funny. Unfortunately, i was doing it illegally and for poor money. I never had any formal qualifications so nobody wanted me as an employee, still i was good at my job, so i had a lot of clients - sucks, isnt it?

One day i thought - Why not move somewhere else and try the famous "western way of life"! So now i landed on a forklift and even if life is easier then it was before im missing my job.
    Thats the answer for the thread question and thats the reason why I'm here, on certforums trying to suck all the knowledge You left for ones like me. And while Im at it, thats a lot to swallow ;)

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+ Network+
  3. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Starting at 15, I spent 6 years as a projectionist for several movie theaters. After high school, I put myself through college on that, then went on for the next 15 years as an automotive tech/shopforeman/trainer, finally arriving (after a brief 6 month stint as a sysadmin for a webhost) officially at the IT doorstep a few months ago. Can you guess what my hobby was all those years leading up to now? ;)

Now I work as a Systems Analyst for a large defense contractor. While I'm one of the older ones here, in official IT land I'm just a pup, so that makes me years younger than BM :)

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Interesting thred.

Me, I'm 32 and I have been in the IT world for two weeks and loving it:biggrin

Its a bit early to say now but I'm sure I have made the right move, and it also helps that the IT bods I work with are a really friendly bunch. This makes a big difference to your working week.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA