How old, how long in IT...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Stupendous Man, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Petrosian

Petrosian New Member

I'm 34, fast approaching 54....., been working 'with IT' for around 12 years but only work worked with IT i.e. in a purely technical role for about 5.

Academically I've got a HND and BSc and I've only just started out on getting some IT certs.

My company has paid for me to do a MCDST course (just done the 70-271) and will follow straight away on the 70-272 which starts this Friday. Exams for both are scheduled for half term in about 3 weeks.

My advice is don't worry about you 'not being good enough' you'll do fine if you apply yourself.

One other thing I found helpful is to create a 'Certification Map' which is my fancy name for a diagram of the certs you want and how they fit together.

Firstly it helped to visualise the order of my goal cert - MCSA - and how each individual exam - in my case 70-271/272, 290, 291 and 284 fit together.

this may sound sad but I also have it pinned up over my desk and when I'm getting a bit pissed off getting my head around subnetting etc it kinda motivates me to see what I'll acheive if I stick at it. It works for me anyway

Hope this helps!!

Certifications: BSc HND
  2. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

about to be 25...graduated last december and had been wondering (as all comp graduates do here) as to wot to do in IT, programming i lost touch with but IT support interested me...so did my A+ and MCP and applied like mad after that :) finally got a job as level 1 support and now looking forward to starting it next month, foot in the door finally!

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  3. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Hi stupendous man – I’ll just add my bit to this thread, if only to make you feel better :D .
    Tut! Tut! You say all that all you have is a “seemingly useless 2:2 honours degree in IT and economics” and “I put off certification because I felt that I was getting a bit old”. Shame on you! :biggrin Let’s have a little more positive thinking here. You’ve plenty time to ‘make your mark’. I appreciate that you feel a little disappointed at your lack of success in the job market so far :( , but the fact that you have a degree will say a lot to prospective employers. The simple fact that you recognise the need for appropriate certification says even more about you. Yes, you may lack suitable ‘trade’ qualifications for the IT industry but you are addressing that ‘shortcoming’.

I’m 56. Time in IT = Zero. Had to give up my trade in the construction industry because of failing health. IT has interested me, to a degree, for a few years and so I decided, if only for my own self-satisfaction/gratification, to try for a few certificates. I did an online Windows System Admin course with Learndirect (Netg) and, one thing it did teach me, is that I have no desire to be a System Administrator. I’m not really sure how this rates in the certification ‘grand scheme of things’ (pretty low, I suspect:dry ), so I hesitate to mention it. On the + side, as a UK resident of x number of years, this online course only cost me £50.00:D . I also did another course, ‘Business Strategies in e-Commerce’, (again Netg), cost £40.00. The price was, again, discounted if you were a UK resident of, I think, 3 years or more:D . Whilst these ‘qualifications’ may not be worth much in the ‘real world’ I don’t regret doing them.
    I’m currently starting with the A+ and then, hopefully, moving on to others :blink .
    It’s been a while since I did any studying and it’s taking some time to get into the right ‘mind-set’. The info just doesn’t stick like it used to!! – IRQ’s aaaaagggghhh!!
    I have to admit, sad old git that I am, I’m enjoying it.
    Realistically, my chances of ‘gainful employment’, at my age, are probably minimal.
    Just remember that, at the next interview that you attend, if you see some ‘sad old f**t’ sitting next to you, it might be ME :D . Good luck with the A+. Regards

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  4. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

Well i'm 27 and got a job with my current employer 5 years ago in their call centre as a resource planner for the field engineers, gradually got more and more exposed to I.T from within the technical support helpdesk with all their gadgetry etc and gradually got speaking to the staff there including the Helpdesk manager who offered some career advice.
    Well a year later I am A+ certified and working within the said Helpdesk supporting field staff and sites alike, love sll the support stuff and glad I chose this field of work as after doing all sorts of different jobs I feel that remote support is the job for me.

Gonna try and get some more certs under my belt too along with experience and then who knows what next?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  5. shadybrady

shadybrady Bit Poster

Ok here's my input and mini-blog :

I'm 29 and have been properly in IT for about 7 years, I have been playing around with computers since taking apart my dad's mitsubishi apricot P133 many years ago when I was about 16. :rolleyes:

Previous to that it had been the quality BBC Model B and some of the dos environment programs that created lots of coloured triangles and things. :p

As there was no IT schooling in my gcse / a-level years at my school I went on to study biology at university and that's where I started to properly get into IT - the early years of the internet and netscape navigator !!! :eek:

After university I worked in recruitment in Hemel Hempstead before returning back to the island to work for a local computer company doing a bit of web design and stuff.

After I realised the boss wasn't a nice man I moved on to AXA and worked as a Graphtalk Programmer but programming didn't suit me very well.

I was then informed of a job advert by a friend of mine and actually applied after the closing date but got an interview and the rest they say is history. :biggrin

I have been working there for nearly 5 years, started as the Network Admin doing machine builds, backups etc and then I moved over to the banking system side of things as a Database Admin and have been doing that for a while now.

As I am likely to move on I thought it about time to get some certs under my belt as experience is great but the certs make the difference these days. :p

Hope it didn't bore you too much !!

Shady

Certifications: BSc. Hons, MCP 70-210
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, MCTS / MCITP
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Im 20 and just got on the ladder, been in IT for 7 months, Had a 3 month "Learning" Period and was then chucked in the deep as the old IT guy left. Not doing to badly so far, company will fund for training books and courses so I cant complain! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

Now A+ and CCNA certified and working as an IT/Network Administrator. I'm currently working on my MCSE.

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  8. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

im 23, just finished uni (including a placement in IT) and got my first IT job in the real world... just need to sign the contract now.

Anyone get private medical? Every job i seem to be in has private medical... *shrugs*

9. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Bloody hell Phoenix, MCSE at 14-15. What are you, Bill Gates son? :biggrin

I'm 29 (nearly 30!) been in the Industry for about 8 years. My first support role was in late 99, just before all the Y2K issues so I missed that boat.

Since then I've been in a few roles from Network admin, to IT Manager, currently Infrastructure Manager for a software company in the finance sector.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

now that is impressive. it took my months for me to get my foot in the door. No one wants you when you have no experience, certified or not.

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey I am 20. I started playing around with computers when I was around 13. Got my first cert when I was 18. So in the IT business world I've been at it for 2 years now but I've been a computer enthusiast for 7 years.

Currently I am in the process of starting business program in university to get an undergrad hopefully and combine IT with Business is my goal.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

finished my GCSEs, advanced IT GNVQ, Bsc Internet Technology, N+ and now CCNA and i'm 25. working at getting as much experience as possible at the moment to help me get my CCNA and CCNP :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am 30 I left uni with a HND in Business Computing 8 years ago I was working leeds up untill my debts caught up with me and had to move back to my parents.

I am in job I have no interest in and am living in an area were the majority of jobs are farming and manufacturing. As soon as my debts are paid off (next year hopfully) I will be looking for IT jobs probably in the leeds area agin or newcastle and will have the money to move there.

I sometime feel I am pushing it at my age but you gotta keep trying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

University can be very useful. 4 people i knew at uni who did databases went on to work for Oracle right out of uni. They are on: 30k, company car and probably some other benefits. So going to uni can be good but not for all IT jobs.

15. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Well.. I'm 34 and have been working in IT support for he government since '97.. currently running a team of Service Desk Engineers and only recently began studying for official qualifications after years of being promised training which never arrived..

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I'm 33 today, happy birthday me ! :biggrin

I've been a programming professionally for 12-13 years, started using computers at the age of 10.

A degree if you worked hard on it should have taught you a lot, also most employers do like to see it on a CV so straight away it should give you an advantage. Degrees test in depth subjects which most certs just skirt over. Certs are useful but in my mind in no way a replacement for real education, they are just the bit of paper at the end...

17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Happy B day :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Happy Birthday!!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Thank God for Trip and Blue, or I'd be an old man around here! :p

I'm 37 - been in IT "officially" for 10 years, unofficially for 16, and been messing with computers for 27 years (since I was 10).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Happy Birthday, dmarsh26. 37 is *not* old, Michael. I didn't start feeling my age at all until I turned 50. You "young pups" have no idea what "old" is. :tongue

Guess I should update. I'm 53 and currently working as a technical writer for Sakson and Taylor which is really Aquent Studios at this point. I also write technical books. My most recently published work is PC Technician Street Smarts published by Sybex. My next book SharePoint 2007: The Definitive Guide published by O'Reilly comes out in September.

Technically speaking, I don't work in IT since I don't support or manage desktops, servers, switches, and the like however, there is always a need for people who understand technology and are able to write to provide documentation to a variety of audiences from the end user to the IT pro.

That's what I'm shooting for.

Certifications: A+ and Network+