How old are you? Is the IT industry ageist?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattgrey, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

hey the way I see is no matter the age, gender, ethnicity its never to late to learn. And why do we have to listen to what some employers say like "you are too young, or too old, or you are not good enough for this company" the way I see it I am 19 I dont quite know as much as some of you guys do about IT as I just started but for someone my age and with my lack of experience I know quite a bit and I've been told this. So for me the way I see it is you can do what ever you want no matter what a person says just have to try try try try untill you get it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You forgot to mention the zimmer frame :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I say BAH! to all of it,

I just got a new job :biggrin

6k rise, more hands on, very good company - and it's 5 minutes down the road :p

I'm 33, my hair is on the way out, I don't have as much energy as the 'young bucks' but that's not what they were looking for anyway.

I probably won't play in the company football team (I'm shyte) and I won't shmoooze all the nubile ladies in the office.

Bottom line - I'll do the job. That's what they want - no matter what shape and size you are if you can do the job you're in.

The new age laws are a good thing, experience is a good thing (we all know that!), if you're older and wiser and know how to keep calm in a crisis and can make better decisions that will benefit the compamy then the company is lucky to have you!

That's from a 'no longer in his 20's' perspective :p

Seriously though if you're getting into IT and feeling 'old' (ugh!) seriously don't - chances are you have more relevant experience and non tech skills that will get the job done

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging