How old are you? Is the IT industry ageist?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattgrey, Oct 4, 2006.

1. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

OK, I'm 27 (28 next week:D ). Been dabling in PC repair a few years, nothing serious, have no qualifications.

Now doing A+ with a view to getting an IT position and moving up the ladder to MCSE over a number of years.

My concern is that maybe I have it too late? Let's say I take 5 years to gain certs. up to MCSE standard along with a few years experience in the indusrty. By then I would be 33. Would an employer think less of me at 33 than a chap/chappette in his/her early twenties with equal qualifications and experience?

At what age did you guys climbing the IT ladder, at what age did you reach your goal and did you ever come across younger people being employed over you?

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6497

8)

3. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Funny you should mention that. New law is being passed to clamp down on ageism. A lot of its still up in the air, but theres a couple of points with it:

1. It will be illegal to discriminate against someone by age for promotion, employment, redundancy or training. This means that they are no longer allowed to advertise for a certain length of experience (eg 'must have 5 years experience') unless they can justify that timescale. They are also not allowed to use 'last in:first out' policies anymore as this generally discriminates against younger people.
    2. The company can still make you retire at 65, but they must notify you in writing at least 6 months before stating their intention to retire you (it has to be in writing too), and allow you an opportunity, if you wish, to make a case for staying on. they have to listen to your case and consider it, but they can still choose to retire you, and dont need to give you a reason.
    3. erm... im sure i had a third point but i cant remember off hand what it is.

Can you tell a did an internal ageism awareness course the other day??? a lot of this is still in discussion, but as far as im aware, the above points are pretty certain to be going through.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i read a really good article this morning, but i'll be damned if i can remember where it is...

too bad i haven't got a history.

6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

We've just had our job titles changed because of the new laws. It used to go Junior Operator, Operator, Senior Operator. They were nothing to do with age, just experience. Now we're Operator Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3. Don't see the point myself.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Its all down to perception, the majority of people will see Junior level as someone that has just left school and Senior Operator as someone that is 40+.

A bit of overkill though that is, seems like a little bit of paranoia to me. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Yep, the legal team are trying to justify their wages I reckon.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Gr8 for us wrinklies though hehehehehe

Steve

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm 28 and so far what I've seen NO.

Younger people have been promoted above me, older people have been employed instead of me for other jobs I've applied to in the past, etc.

In the time that I've spent in IT the thing that really get the person the job is the skills and the attitude/personality that a person brings to an interview. Alot of people say that only the young get the jobs in IT, that's bull****.

A little while ago we advertise for a IT Tech to assist me and my manager at the time, one of my jobs was to go thru the CV's with my manager, not one person was above 32. I know that I'm talking from personal experience, and that may not be the general "norm" but on paper because we employed someone younger than 40 how does that look?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I didn't get into IT until I was 30.
    It's all about your 'life skills'.
    I've got people working for me that know more about IT than I do, but that's not the point...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just remember that time passes very quickly. Those of you that are in your twenties will be in your thirties before you know it. As you get older time seems to pass even faster. It only seems like yesterday that I was in my twenties and I still feel the same inside. You will all reach your fifties too hopefully and like me will face at least another 15 years of working with older and younger colleagues.

People should be judged on their capabilities and productivity ie usefulness to the employer not on their age or colour of their skin etc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well said, but alas we do not live in a perfect world.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

After reading Bryson's book "A Short History of Almost Everything" last summer I am as old as every other thing in the Universe. This current configuration of sub-atomic particals has had 44 trips round the sun.

As yet I have not reached my goal and hope I never will. There is a whole planet full of learning out there and lots of new things!

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hehe, that is just classic Sandy!

16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

A+ at 17 first IT job too at 17, MCP at 20 MCDST and nearly MCSA and im 21... worked full time in a support role then quit to come to uni this year... am i too old? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You are getting a tad long in the beak :twisted:

18. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

LOL ... here's the extremely abbreviated version:

16-19 -- District projectionist for a movie theater chain

19-33 -- Lead technician/shop foreman for a large multi-franchise car dealership

33-34 -- NOC admin for a webhosting company

35-36 -- Automotive Instructor for GM

37+ -- waiting on my Security Clearance for an IT job in the DC Metro area (major government subcontractor for all you cross-ponders :) )

Am I too old?

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Has you hair moved from your head into your ears and nose yet? If so, yes :p

20. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Ironically, yes, and that includes my waist size equalling my age :rolleyes:

Too bad, I've scratched and clawed enough in my career change, when I finally settle in, I'm here to stay. The webhosting job was a temporary thing, so to speak, so I only had one foot in IT :dry

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE